Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid roller worth the cost on a street car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solid roller worth the cost on a street car?

I am thinking about going to a solid roller setup but wasn't sure if it was absolutely the best option for me for a street car. i know that it makes more power higher in the rpm range but i don't really know much else about it. is a solid roller setup really worth the costs of rockers, lifters, etc? thanks
Old 01-25-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KRS30
I am thinking about going to a solid roller setup but wasn't sure if it was absolutely the best option for me for a street car. i know that it makes more power higher in the rpm range but i don't really know much else about it. is a solid roller setup really worth the costs of rockers, lifters, etc? thanks
I've been asking questions about this and researching it for a long time now. From what I gather it is worth it if you're going to put that power to use. And all you need to do with a solid roller set-up that you don't need to do with a hyd set-up is: adjust the valve lash every now and then. It takes about 30 minutes and can be done as regular maintenance at each oil change.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing it, depending on which route I go, and my car is a 100% street car.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Banned

my concern isn't adjusting the valve lash as much as it is the $1000+ rocker arms, $300+ lifters, and more expensive springs. thank you for your opinion and info!!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:19 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I wouldn't do a solid roller on a every day driver. Also the solid roller is only if your looking for alot of rpm.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A solid roller should be de rigeur for a performance engine. However, if all you are looking for is a mild power boost and your not really racing, a hydraulic is potentially cheaper, less maintenance, and quieter.

If you are racing in a hydraulic restricted class, you are probably running cheaters that bring back some of the noise and maintenance.

It isn't just rpm. Hydraulics generally can't handle much load, so they tend to be limited. LSx engines have light valvetrains and light springs which allow 7000rpm on hydraulics, which is unusual.

That load limitation generally has less aggressive cams with more time off seat time for a given duration at higher lift and less overall lift.

However to get those benefits, you will be looking at modified or aftermarket heads that can take a bigger spring, bigger valve springs with new retaines and keepers, taller aftermarket valves, adjustable (preferably shaft) rockers, new lifters, new pushrods, and probably a valve cover spacers.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

my concern isn't adjusting the valve lash as much as it is the $1000+ rocker arms, $300+ lifters, and more expensive springs. thank you for your opinion and info!!
Thats why I said, "if you're going to put that power to use", than it'll be worth it. If its just another modded car driving around, than it's probably not worth the extra money for you. Like me, I want most of my power at the higher rpm levels. Roll races only. 50-180mph runs. So if you're going for all the power you can get, go solid roller, because you'll get more.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:13 AM
8 Second Club

I got my lifters new for $400, springs came on a used set of heads I bought, and some used t/d shaft mounts for like $550. It's not too bad and it seems worth it so far to me, but my car only sees limited street use.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the process now of putting a solid roller in my 402. I have had many conservations with Tony Mamo at AFR about the solid roller and he convinced me to try it. Tony has a good write up on the 383 he built. https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/384450-383-engine-dyno-results-graphs-included.html He dyno tested a hyd cam then switched to a solid cam. I will let everyone know how it goes once I get my engine back together.