Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke bolt off in crank, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broke bolt off in crank, now what?

While installing my March Underdrive pulley (which I absolutely think is the worst decision in my life) I broke a half inch section of the crank pulley bolt off in the crank snout.

What are my options from here? I haven't even stripped a bolt yet much less broke off one, so I'm lost. Someone told me about an Easy Out, would this be something I can use? If not is there another way?

I'd love to just drop the motor and put in a forged shortblock but I don't have the money right now. Also, if you would like to make fun of me for my stupidity, please feel free to do so, but also include helpful advice as well.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:23 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok i have to ask though... How did it break halfway out/in?
Old 01-27-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

just because you put the offer on the table...you're a complete idiot...lol

but seriously, **** happens - if part of the bolt is sticking out of the snout, get some heavy duty vice grips on there and try like hell to get it out

an easy out may work if it's broken off inside, but i'm inexperienced with that so i'll let someone else chime in
Old 01-27-2006, 03:30 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

you could try and grind it down the threaded portion to fit a bigger socket on a 3/4 wrench and put a breaker on it to get it out the rest of the way.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to know how this happened.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't been able to positively confirm this, but I'm pretty sure the bolt is broken off flush with the crank snout so I can't weld a new head to it, or use vice grips. I seriously have no idea how, but I was backing the bolt out and it got stuck and broke off when I tried to turn it some more. I must be the incredible Hulk because it was a size M16 bolt.

It's also stuck on something or seized in the hole so I'm probably going to need to find a way to drill it out or something.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

You must have been cranking like hell on it to break that bolt!!!!

Using a center punch, punch a hole dead center in the broken off bolt. Use the correct size drill bit to drill through the bolt. Use the correct size EZ out to extract the bolt. This should work pretty easily. It's a blind hole so it will have to be extracted from the front. I'm not sure if the bolt is hardened steel or not but you might have to invest in some $$ titanium bits if it is.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
You must have been cranking like hell on it to break that bolt!!!!
what can I say, I am Zeus and I have the strenght of a thousand warriors coursing through my veins

Old 01-27-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
I just want to know how this happened.
Because even though this happenes over and over and crank threads continue to get stripped, people still install pulleys with a bolt instead of a piece of all-thread, washers and a nut. Sucks that it happened, but that's why.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since it broke on the way out I doubt an easy out will help.The bolt is stripping it's way out.I would try to weld something to the bolt,then heat the crank with a torch till it's pretty much glowing then turn it out.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Because even though this happenes over and over and crank threads continue to get stripped, people still install pulleys with a bolt instead of a piece of all-thread, washers and a nut. Sucks that it happened, but that's why.
It seems obvious to me as well- yet some still seem to argue about it. It didn't take much reading for me to understand that once you get this long bolt seated, ain't no way you're gonna strip out the hole:

Old 01-27-2006, 04:57 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Zeus The Incredible Hulk
I must be the incredible Hulk because it was a size M16 bolt.
Well there is your problem right there!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:58 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Don't you make a piece and sell them to people doing cam/pulley swaps?
Old 01-27-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
It seems obvious to me as well- yet some still seem to argue about it. It didn't take much reading for me to understand that once you get this long bolt seated, ain't no way you're gonna strip out the hole:

That looks like the one I used to sell. I stopped because I flamed by a lot of people here that my tool was too expensive and everyone should just go buy the $3 longer bolt. I got tired of defending it. My tool was cheaper than fixing fucked up crank threads. Maybe I should start selling them again.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Don't you make a piece and sell them to people doing cam/pulley swaps?
You and Zaine borrowed my tool when you did your cam.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Darn good reason not to use TTY bolts over again, even though some do. I wonder if the bolt broke right after the shank where the threads start?
Old 01-27-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did get that from you (a year and a half ago). And I remember the **** you were taking because you were packaging that thing up and selling it. I thought it was a great deal. I snatched one up just before you stopped selling them. You included the nut and washers, packaged it up very nice, and shipped it out quick. You even included instructions! Thanks again, money well spent.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:42 PM
RSB
Teching In

You could try a rosette weld.

Take the head of the bolt you have left over, and drill a fairly large hole in it inline with what would be the bolt shank. Try not to disturb the broken part too much. The idea is to put it against the piece broken inside the snout, clocking it so it matches as best as you can, and then weld through the hole into the end of the broken bolt, and filling up the drilled hole with weld. The weld should be stronger than the bolt depending upon the filler material selection and your proficiency. Hopefully the heat will help loosen things up too. You might get lucky.

An easy out will almost certainly not work because they're typically too brittle, and you just can't develop enough torque in a situation where the torque value being applied was enough to shear off a fastener with more cross section than the easy out.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Teching In

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=1098
Old 01-27-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I would like to pound like that on the crank:

Quick Reply: Broke bolt off in crank, now what?