Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poss. bad oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poss. bad oil pump?

My oil pressure has been bad since I installed my cam last year. Before the cam it was fine, but after then install it starts at 40+ on a cold idle, and slowly goes down until its hovering around 10 at hot idle, and 20-30 at crusing with spurts up to 40 at WOT.

Now I've heard that when you have a spun bearing you'll hear it, but my engine sounds fine, and I didnt find any metal in my oil.

What are some key points in finding out if its the pump, or do I just have to replace it and see what happens?

It is a new LS6 pump w/ a Rollmaster double chain.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

You probably have a pinched o-ring. It's hard to get the pickup on there REALLY straight due to the oil pump spacers. I just installed one. I'm getting ready to button her up. I hope this isn't an issue for me. I don't want to have to do this again...... soon anyway Good luck! I probably need a little myself!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zinc
My oil pressure has been bad since I installed my cam last year. Before the cam it was fine, but after then install it starts at 40+ on a cold idle, and slowly goes down until its hovering around 10 at hot idle, and 20-30 at crusing with spurts up to 40 at WOT.

Now I've heard that when you have a spun bearing you'll hear it, but my engine sounds fine, and I didnt find any metal in my oil.

What are some key points in finding out if its the pump, or do I just have to replace it and see what happens?

It is a new LS6 pump w/ a Rollmaster double chain.
Better sell me your LS6 intake to fund that new pump........
Old 01-31-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a new O ring and take the pan off again. Make sure that the O ring is all the way into the pump before you put the pick up in. A GM mechanic told me to use some gasket tack and stick the O ring inside the pump, then insert the tube.
Good Luck.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black_z
Better sell me your LS6 intake to fund that new pump........