Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cause of cam bearing wear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cause of cam bearing wear?

Any ideas on what might have caused my front cam bearing to look like this?

The scratches might have been my fault but that doesn't explain how it got worn down to the brass. Car only has 22,000 miles on it. Stock internals. About 1,000 1/4-mile passes.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say it has something to do with the 1000 1/4 mile passes. Maybe you didnt break the motor in correctly?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Actually, I was very careful to follow the recommended break-in procedures exactly. And, I didn’t make my first pass in it until I had 1,000 miles on the odometer.

Since I posted this I have done some more studying of how it looks. Now I’m thinking that maybe the cam bearing spun or was not installed correctly at the factory. Here is a straight-on shot (more or less).

I assume the two oil holes are supposed to line up symmetrically with the block. But you can see that they don’t. They are 2 or 3 degrees counterclockwise. If I put an awl through the right hole, I can feel that it is open behind it so I assume it is not blocked. But it feels like solid metal behind the left hole. So, I think its likely that the bearing was not getting sufficient oil to it. Yes? No? Opinions, please.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds probable. Mine has 108k miles on it and when I put the cam in a 1000 miles or so ago it looked solid silver with no scratches.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:46 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always checked and have seen no wear in the 3 cams that i have done on my 346.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am so jelous of those lifter tools you have there in your picture. I need a set of those but dont want to spend $85 on them. Call me cheap, I dont care.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me neither I got the job done for about $3 with some 5/16" wooden dowels.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robinator
I am so jelous of those lifter tools you have there in your picture. I need a set of those but dont want to spend $85 on them. Call me cheap, I dont care.
You might be cheap but I'm cheaper. I purchased my cam, springs, retainers, rods and gasket kit from a local shop ($800+). Luckily he didn't have any cam swaps scheduled and he was kind enough to lend me his lifter tools.

I thought it would be just a 24 hour loan. But then I hit this snag with the bearings. I told him to let me know if he needs them back before I figure out what to with the bearings. If he does, I will put the old cam back in temporarily.

And the tool is great.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

This might not be a problem after all.

First, I have now learned that there is only ONE oil galley for each bearing. Also they are relatively large and the holes don’t need to be perfectly even to line up. That is why I found that one hole was blocked and the other wasn’t. It’s all perfectly normal.

Second, I sent a photo to Horsepower Engineering (LS1 and LS2 engines and a site sponsor). Here is what he said:
Originally Posted by Ken at HPE
Ed,

Believe it or not the OEM cam bearing look like that even when they are practically new. I will try and send you a pic myself of some new 6.0 blocks because they are very similar and have patches of copper/brass showing through even when they are absolutely brand new! Basically they look like crap but they work just fine. Some are worse looking than others too so it's hard to tell if your's are really that bad if you know what I mean. You could get a dial bore gauge and measure them for out of round but you might be surprised to find that they are possibly alright.

Basically any time you take the cam in or out you get the scratches so don't worry too much about that. Also Chevrolet/GM has a huge range of oil clearance on the cam bearings from about .001-.006 so they are not a highly critical item in the first place. As long as the cam spins over smoothly you are usually fine and it doesn't hurt to check the oil clearance by setting a dial bore gauge to the size of your cam journals and then seeing how much bigger the inner diameters of the cam bearings are. Basically though if you can get the cam in and out of the block and it spins fine you are set. You could also set the cam on some V-blocks and spin it with an indicator if you think it may be bent.
BTW, I bought a borescope which arrived last Friday. All five cam bearings have the same problem – they are worn down to the brass in roughly the 4:30 and 7:30 positions (directly opposite the pushrod ends). It is more pronounced on the driver’s side. No scratches or rough spots.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks MrED thats good news, as i had the same marks on my bearings. I didnt worry too much about it beacuse i had measured everything up and it was all in spec per the GM service manual.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr Ed
This might not be a problem after all.

First, I have now learned that there is only ONE oil galley for each bearing. Also they are relatively large and the holes don’t need to be perfectly even to line up. That is why I found that one hole was blocked and the other wasn’t. It’s all perfectly normal.

Second, I sent a photo to Horsepower Engineering (LS1 and LS2 engines and a site sponsor). Here is what he said:

BTW, I bought a borescope which arrived last Friday. All five cam bearings have the same problem – they are worn down to the brass in roughly the 4:30 and 7:30 positions (directly opposite the pushrod ends). It is more pronounced on the driver’s side. No scratches or rough spots.
Good post. Thanks for the info. Im curious to see what mine will look like this spring when I throw a cam in it. (77K miles)