Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alrighty...need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alrighty...need a little help

Well normally I would not be making this thread if the search wasnt broken, but it is, and I am. My goals are a VERY streetable H/C car that can make 420-430ish RWHP while still making low end torque and good power under the curve. Im more worried about having it run smoothly than achieving power everywhere. I am more worried about achieving power everywhere than making the 430 RWHP mark. So it goes: driveablity>power throughout>peak numbers.

Ive done a decent amount of research and think that a nice set of PRC's heads might be in my future. Which ones im not sure. I havent ruled our Patriots either. The PRC's CNC'd LS6 heads and 5.3 Stage 1.5 both look like a pretty nice bang for your buck. I like the Dart Stage 2s from PRC, but I wonder if the large 237cc(?) runner might be too much for my application. The PP Stage 2 LS6 seem nice with a nice price tag with them, and plus it comes with bolts and head gaskets which is a plus. Kinda more towards the PRC 5.3's as we speak, but that my change. Your thoughts are welcome.
**Just confirmed that the PRC Darts are infact 1599 for both heads(lol), im kinda liking that a bit.

Onto the cam. The cam I have in there now is too small to make those kinds of numbers. But im leary of going too big. I kind of like the Futural F6 (226"/230" .575"/.595" 114LSA) or F11 (228"/230" .576"/.595" 114LSA). Ive heard a little more positive from the F11 so im leaning towards it, however the F13 (230"/232" .595"/.585" 114LSA) has a even more positive feedback. Do you guys think an F13 can be tuned to drive fairly tame (no surging and bucking at low RPMs) or would an F11 sized cam yeild better driveability without too much loss. Most of these 430 RWHP numbers im seeing are bigger than the ones ive listed. Dont forget Id like to have power everywhere(Doesnt everyone ). Any other cam suggestions?

Would I ABSOLUTLY need an LS6 oil pump? I have a newer oil pump installed that has about 18k miles on it, that was on my buddys 02 SS. I would get an LS2 timing chain.

Is there anywhere to get a cheap set of centerbolt valve covers (with coils if needed)? Damn 98 heads, if I got a set of heads Im assuming that they will most likely be center bolt.

No, I dont have an LS6 intake, but yes Im planning on getting one. I have the rest of the supporting mods. Any comments on any part of my essay would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris
Old 02-03-2006, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not going to make 420+ and have good power down low and good driveability. For good low end torque you'll need to close the intake valve earlier and therefor give up some peak HP. A good tune will make the cams you've listed very driveable but very rare to have no low rpm surge or bucking.
Go a little smaller with a little less overlap, with good heads you'll get close to 400, have better low end, and be very driveable.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking along your lines as well....Look at my sig, and you'll see what I went with. She rund great, and is daily driven. Also, she just shreds the tires down low, and is a monster out of the hole.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaddySS
You're not going to make 420+ and have good power down low and good driveability. For good low end torque you'll need to close the intake valve earlier and therefor give up some peak HP. A good tune will make the cams you've listed very driveable but very rare to have no low rpm surge or bucking.
Go a little smaller with a little less overlap, with good heads you'll get close to 400, have better low end, and be very driveable.
Well I figured all of my goals wouldnt be fulfilled, but id like to get as close as possible. What about a little less duration like a 224/228 with a decent amount of lift in the 59x range on a 114? Im not lookin to break records here, I just want something that drives tamely, but still puts out close to 420 RWHP(if even possible). Im not looking for ABSOLUTE PERFECTION when it comes to low RPM surging/bucking problems, but I want the car to be able to idle on its own and not have any worries about it dying out on me. Ideally Id like to do some FI, but that is way out of my price range for a while, plus there would have to be a lot more custom work. I should also mention, my car only weighs 3360 lbs with me in the car, so that 400-420 RWHP goes a little further than if it was in a 3600 lb 4th gen.

Originally Posted by Nittany_marine
I was thinking along your lines as well....Look at my sig, and you'll see what I went with. She rund great, and is daily driven. Also, she just shreds the tires down low, and is a monster out of the hole.
What are the ballpark specs of G5x3? I know they dont give them out, but i figured the general specs are out there. I think the AFR's are a little out of my price range right now unfortunatly, however. But I think I can get a head that flows somewhat close to an AFR 205. Will a smaller intake runner (like the 205's) help keep me from loosing low end power? If thats true, thats why I think the PRC Dart Stage 2's are a little big at 237 cc's.

Thanks for the replys guys...keep em comin.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:03 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that those were said to be like 240/242 somewhere in that range. Someone on here posted them a while back not sure where it is...like you said search is castrated.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:07 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Is there anywhere to get a cheap set of centerbolt valve covers (with coils if needed)? Damn 98 heads, if I got a set of heads Im assuming that they will most likely be center bolt
Junk yard will be your friend on this. I have not seen anyone offering a perimeter bolt style head for *new* aftermarket. head castings that you would be looking for would be 853, 241, 243, 317 (truck 6.0l head)....
Old 02-03-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Junk yard will be your friend on this. I have not seen anyone offering a perimeter bolt style head for *new* aftermarket. head castings that you would be looking for would be 853, 241, 243, 317 (truck 6.0l head)....
Hmm...the only problem i see with that, is the past few times ive gone to the junkyard, I have not seen any ls1's, or any vehicles that would have a LS series motor to my knowledge. If I could find one, that would be golden.

I looked up the G5x3 on google, and something like 236/242 .590/.609 114LSA . Seems a little big, but from the limited amount of searching i can do, it seems that people think it still has great drivability for the amount of power it makes. But like I said, I would rather risk loosing 10-15 RWHP if it meant it ran a lot smoother.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:41 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

actually that sounds right with the cam size. As far as finding the stuff at the junkyard.....they will have that type of stuff pulled off and tossed in bins. I would just sit down with a metroplex phone book and call all the junkyards and ask. I got some good stuff that i thought that I would never find that way. plus the worst they can say is no. food for thought though.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very true...I will probably do that if I do decide to pull the trigger. Ive seen some centerbolt valvecovers on ebay but none of them come with coils. Also saw another thread about problems using 99+ coils with a 98 PCM/wiring. Are the connectors different/incompatible? Are the 99+ coils themselves incompatible?

BTW, patriot does sell a set of perimeter bolt heads, for the stage II LS1 heads, as an option. This would solve my problem there, but are those heads enough for what I am looking for?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:00 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

yeah they are probably cnc'd and fully loaded. I had no idea that they had those! that is actually really good to know. I do have a set of 853 centerbolt style heads that i would give up for about 100 bucks.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
yeah they are probably cnc'd and fully loaded. I had no idea that they had those! that is actually really good to know. I do have a set of 853 centerbolt style heads that i would give up for about 100 bucks.
Thats a pretty sweet deal, but I dont think any of the companies im looking at need cores (if im not mistaken). These are bare im guessing?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT guys...still need more info.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

they have seats on them and that is pretty much it with stock valves.