Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these Rods any Good???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are these Rods any Good???

I find these on eBay all the time, they are forged 4340 steel rods that say 6.125 length which is what I need to build a forged 346/347 or stroked 382 if I come across and good deal on a 4.00 crank. But in the listing it says for strokers? Somebody enlighten me on whats the deal with this company and these rods.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-4...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-07-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

They don't even list the brand name! I would stay away from something like that if I were going to be bulding a HIGH quality motor. You just don't know enough about them for them to be reliable, but you can buy whatever you want...
Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AMS is a shop here in town. I've never looked at the rods in person, but I've been told they were Basically Eagle rods. By the sound of it, they may do some finishing work on them. Either way, there a cheap chinese casting, that many people can order from and throw their name on. Kinda like pushrods or pressure plates. One company makes them in a "unfinished" state, then you can finish them and market them as "your" product. I've bought name brand parts from them when no one else had them, but I've never used them for much machine work because of horror stories. They even jacked up 2 LT-1 timing covers I had some work done on causing me to go through several opti sparks before I found out they ground off some of the mounting points. On the oppisite side of the cover from where the work needed to be done at that. Just spend $50 more and buy you some SCAT's.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

sounds smart to me...Thanks