Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam questions?

Hey guys I have finally decided to do a cam swap and just had a few questions about the Cam itself. First off I have saw there are different kinds of Lobes (XER, etc) What is the difference between the different lobes? Second of all when you see Cam spec and at the end the have a +4 what does this mean and does it effect the way you install the cam? I am sorry if these are stupid questions but I just want to know what everything is before I install one.

Dan
Old 02-07-2006, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dan. The difference in lobes is how aggressive they are, how fast the ramp rate is, and the area the lobe has (there are probably other attributes too). The XER is an aggressive lobe that will make good power under the curve, but it will be harder on the valvetrain than an XE or other softer lobe. The +4, +2, etc after the LSA is for advance that is ground into the cam. This will shift the power band down a little ways. This also indicates where the intake centerline is. On a cam with a 112 LSA+4, the intake centerline will be at 108*.