Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracing down an oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tracing down an oil leak?

Okay so I've noticed a slow oil leak on my car. I sees to be coming out the tranny inspection hole, but I'm pretty sure it's not tranny fluid, but rather engine oil. So I'm guessing I have a small leak in the back somewhere. So my question is what's the easiest way to trace it down?

I know when I had a leak in my dodge I took it to someone and that mechanic told me he had a special oil additive that would glow under blacklight. So he would add it let me drive it for a 100 or so miles and then run to black light to see where it was coming from. Sounds pretty cleaver to me. But you know I don't run the dodge very hard compared to the hawk. I don't know if this additive is advised for an LS1, especially a blown one, or if anyone uses this method.

So I guess I'm curious if anyone uses the glow in the dark oil additive, if so is there a brand I should be looking for, am I safe running this in my Hawk, etc? If this is not the advised method, what is?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 02-09-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have seen alot of rear covers leaking and every now and then rear main seals. your local dealership should have oil die. put some miles on and recheck. let us know what you find