Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install????

Old 02-10-2006, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Install????

I've been working on my car every chance i get.To try and get my LS6 intake, cam installed . well i got everything ripped apart and I'm ready to pull the old cam and install the new one, but the thing is if I install the the new one and don't get around to botton everything else up for about a week will that cause a problem with oiling of the cam? because wouldn't alot of the oil drained off the cam by now? are is it fine as long as you oiled the cam good during the install??

and this is the first cam swap I've done, should i have a buddy pull/install the actual cam or is it something i should be able to handle? (gentle) way tips would be great
Old 02-10-2006, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Enough oil should stay on the cam to prevent metal to metal contact with the cam bearings. That's also why you need to "bump" the engine over before actually starting it. This will prime the oil pump and circulate oil to the critical areas needing oil. You can handle it yourself, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it have an experienced friend help. Thread the long water pump bolts into the cam to use as a handle to aid in removing and installing the cam. It will help with the leverage. If you plan on letting it sit for week (any reason?) leave the old cam in until you are ready to swap in the new cam. Otherwise if you take out the old cam, and leave it sit the lifters will slide down (big no-no). Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

what I did about a week ago is put luthium grease on cam journal and mobil-1 oil on lobes. have not fired it yet since I'm working alot right now and head swap too. I'm not worried, just make sure you prime oil pump before fireing engine up for the first time. also pour some oil on chain once its installed and down lifter cradle before valve covers go back on. more importantly, it does not matter how much oil you have in the pan durring build-up, just make sure u check level and that its between minimum and full before firing engine for first time.

fuerzaws6
Old 02-10-2006, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

I'm just working alott and have no time to get to it only a coulpe hours every other day.
plus I'm doing it in my storage garage -no heat (24 degrees) and no power
but I'm a Electrician so I know how to get power
thanks for th advise.

Search this Thread