Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helicoil the Spark Plug Hole.. Good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Helicoil the Spark Plug Hole.. Good Idea?

Hey everyone,

I recently stripped the threads in my #1 cylinder spark plug hole. East Side said that they may have to remove the head to tap it, and that is probably the safest/best bet ($1000). If this was the case and they have to remove the head to do it, h/c swap time.

However, I never wanted to do this much work to my car. I just wanted a 224 114 cam and a 100shot.. and I was hoping they could get away with just doing a helicoil ($400 apprx), which they said is definately possible.

Should I just say screw it and have em' fix it w/o removing head? Is there a lot of potential risk?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:37 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they have a borescope, they could inspect the cylinder and top of the piston area after they have drilled and tapped for the HeliCoil.

BTW, this is a good place to warn everyone who reads this. When you remove your sparkplugs the first time, buy a spark plug thread chaser and carefully clean the threads to make sure that they are straight and don't have any residue in the threads. Then vacuum the area around the holes. Then always use antisieze compound and torque the plugs to 11 pounds feet if they have been used even once before. I think that the spec is 22 pounds feet if new.

Steve
Old 02-13-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Steve,
First, Chevy gave me an estimate of $1500 to pull the head and insert a Helicoil on plug 2 - I cross threaded it, never did that before. I believe you have enough room to the driver's side to drill, tap, and insert a Helicoil in cylinder #1. You will have to remove the exhaust manifold. You will need to load up the drill and tap will heavy grease to catch the chips of metal - You will have to keep removing the drill and tap as metal builds up and then continue. if you are skilled at drilling and tapping, this can be done without spending $1000+ otherwise DON"T DO IT.
Just my two cents
Bill
Old 02-13-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a LONG time ago i crossthreaded my #1 plug. went to discount auto parts and got this

i covered it in grease to lube it and catch the shavings and ran it through. started the car up without the #1 plug in it for a few seconds to blow all the **** out

never had a problem for over 3 years (ive changed heads since then)
Old 02-13-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses. I do not have enough experience to do this on my own, so I'm having the car towed to east side performance for them to do the work. Their estimate wasn't that bad at all if they don't have to remove the head. I change plugs on my honda civic like its putting gas in the car; I didn't think it'd be that difficult at all to do it in this car, especially since I already have my exhaust manifolds off!

I'll tell East Side about this thread too, and I'll definately update what happens.

Also, I had them get me an estimate on a prc z06 ported heads w/ 224/228 114lsa h/c swap w/ a tune But I don't know what route im going with this car (I live right near Limerock road course) and I dont want to build it yet.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also I know orangepeel did this himself also and had success with it. Removal of the head is like.. screw that. I'll just put the car away for 2 months and continue driving my winter beater until I have the dough for full h/c swap.

#1 is right there, w/ the exhaust manifold off, the only thing really in the way are the brake lines and the ABS unit, though I think they'll do fine tapping it out.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
a LONG time ago i crossthreaded my #1 plug. went to discount auto parts and got this

i covered it in grease to lube it and catch the shavings and ran it through. started the car up without the #1 plug in it for a few seconds to blow all the **** out

never had a problem for over 3 years (ive changed heads since then)
Personally this is the method I would definitely use....If you **** up the head, big deal just go heads cam.....be careful and you can easily fix this problem using a tool like the one above.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:40 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
Also I know orangepeel did this himself also and had success with it. Removal of the head is like.. screw that. I'll just put the car away for 2 months and continue driving my winter beater until I have the dough for full h/c swap.

#1 is right there, w/ the exhaust manifold off, the only thing really in the way are the brake lines and the ABS unit, though I think they'll do fine tapping it out.
bingo!

Mine was 8# though.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:42 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Personally this is the method I would definitely use....If you **** up the head, big deal just go heads cam.....be careful and you can easily fix this problem using a tool like the one above.
Yeah, that chase is a great tool!

Quick Reply: Helicoil the Spark Plug Hole.. Good Idea?