Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GEN III Max bore/stroke and other related ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEN III Max bore/stroke and other related ?'s

I've been looking and looking and looking and I can't seem to find what the max bore and stroke is for my 98 LS1. I know the 97-98 has a 3.9 bore already and can only be bored maybe .004 over? pretty much a honing job. But what is the maximum stroke for this block without taking it somewhere to get the block clearanced for the crank and rods?

I'm still new to this but need some advice on which way to go with it. I want a stronger block like the LS6, but kind of want to bore it to a 4.000. Should I just stick with the LS6 and 3.910 or go with the 6.0 iron block and have at it? I'm sure I would enjoy the 383 but I want to go for a 402. I'm looking for torque and horsepower in the 550-650 range and know I might have to supercharge it for that power, but if I can get it with n/a I want to go that route instead. I also want to stick with the GEN III base engine so I can keep the modification to the rest of the car to a minimum besides beefing it up. like engine mounts, tranny, wiring harness, computer, intake locations, radiator location, etc. and the few pieces I already have.

What kind of prices am I looking at for a cheap build of my 98 block for now? As in cheap I'm thinking offset grinding the crank as much as I can and getting a decent set of rods and pistons for a moderate compression and performance.

I already have figures for everything else, and probably won't go cheap on those pieces (heads, timing set, oil pump, valvetrain, etc. etc. etc.) But I'm trying to figure out what I want to do right now with my engine so I can start planning on the rest of the combo. Then hopefully get a good ensemble that would work well with the 402 when I get there instead of swapping everything out right away.

I know it's confusing but I don't want to sound like too much of a retard, I have researched a lot but still am looking for information and numbers, suggestions. Thanks in advance, Dan
Old 02-14-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

noone knows the max stroke for these? come on
Old 02-14-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Biggest stroke I would run would be 4.125 this would give you a 396 and I don't think any clearancing is needed but I have been wrong before
Old 02-14-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

6.0 iron block you can go 4.020-4.060 bore, depending on how good your casting is. Have it sonic tested. Max stroke 4.125. I think you can end up with 408-414 CI (or there about)

Brandon
Old 02-14-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Catalogs/AB05_chevy.pdf
part# is K366A05

Would these be good if I came across a set of 6.125 rods and a 4.000 Crank?? Or are these for stock stroke only??? Im confused on the stroker thing too, I am up in the air if my budget can handle a stroker or if i should just stick with a 346/347 Forged build-up with my LS6 heads? I have a LS1 Block ready for sumthin, just dont know which direction to go yet

Last edited by Ravenous T\A; 02-14-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

that's a big negative, this won't be a great explanation, but the deck height is the distance from the center of the crank to the top of the block (where the heads sit). The Deck height of the stock LS1 is 9.240 unless i'm mistaken. If you want a 4.000 crank with 6.125 rods add all this together to get the number for what's called your compression height (distance from the piston pin to top of the piston). But you want your piston to come up about .010 to .025 below the deck unless if you want some big compression you want it to extend above the deck, not recommended unless you're building a funny car. SO...take half your stroke plus the rods and you get 8.125. 9.240-8.125=1.115. So you want a compression height of somewhere around 1.100 that will give you a clearance of .015. The pistons you listed are 1.550. It all depends on your compression ration you want, which also depends on your cylinder head cc's and also your gasket compressed thickness. as for my 98 stock LS1 the heads are 66.67 cc with a gasket of .052. If you want more power just get a higher compression ratio by simply changing the gasket to a .015 to make your chamber smaller. Or port and polish your heads to make the compression ratio go down. Or add valve reliefs in the pistons to get it to lower. Or you can get a piston with a dish or a dome to change the CR. Figure out what type of heads you want, with the compression ratio you want before you purchase a set of pistons and rods. A lot of people go with 6.1 rods or just 6" rods with a higher compression height. If you want to spend more on gas go with a higher CR. but if you want to run pump gas keep it around 10:1 or lower if you have a blower or turbo. just search on google for a Compression Ratio calculator or a Displacement Calculator. Some have more variables than others like a couple will have you add the cc of the little chamfer on the circumferance of the piston. Most gaskets aren't exactly the diameter of the bore, so you might be asked the dia. of the gasket too. Everything changes your CR so figure out what CR and setup you want first.

oh the stock LS1 (my 98) has a bore of 3.900 with a stroke of 3.620. I'm not sure what the rods are but I think they're 5.700. I'll let you do the math for the compression height of our stock block. It's a starting place for your research.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:16 AM
TECH Resident

oh P.S. the 99 and later blocks can be bored about .010 over since the liners are a little thicker. Check out which block you have before you start building it. The later blocks will have machined channels in the crankcase for the oil and vapors to pass through. The first couple years they had to drill holes as it wasn't in the building process, just merely a quick fix. There's also a few other differences but not too many. I think the new ones have two holes in the rear of the block for better oil passage to the lifters? I forgot where they are located. Hope you have a new one!

Quick Reply: GEN III Max bore/stroke and other related ?'s