Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difference between Mechanical and Hydraulic lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default difference between Mechanical and Hydraulic lifters?

I am planning on replacing mine when I replace my heads and cam. I have no idea what the difference between the two are and which ones would suit me better? my car is a daily driver and weekend dragster! Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Curtis
Old 02-13-2006, 07:14 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mechanical lifters can be used with higher lift cams and at higher rpms but they require periodic adjustment. They alse rqire different camshafts. Hydraulic lifters do not and can get you to just about any reasonable amount of power you are looking for, especially with a steet driven car.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

the cam I am looking at is the TSP torquer v.2 So I am assuming that the hydraulic lifters would be best for me?
Old 02-13-2006, 08:05 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock lifters will do the job just fine.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Most people run Hydraulic lifters in daily drivers and cars that are driven a lot on the street. Mechanical (Solid) lifters are usually used for full out drag cars that only see the strip. Like rao said they require periodic adjustment but they are tough lifters. I love to hear the tap of solid lifters. Hydraulic lifters will work just fine for a Torquer cam.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personaly will be replacing my MS3 Hydrolic roller set up for a Solid roler set up soon. There are several advantages a solid has over hydrolic but with those advantages does come extra set up expense and more up keep. The advantage with the solid lifter is the lifter does not loose any amount of lift or duration were a hydrolic maintains the lift and duration from the hydrolics traped behind the plunger. Hydrolic lifters can loose their prime at low idol which will cause lifter noise. It can also loose its prime under high loads like extreme spring pressure and high rpm. A solid will not do those things. But a solid lifter on an LS1 requires adjustable rocker arms so you can set the lifter clearance. This does have to be checked from time to time and the rockers are expensive. Solid lifters are also noisier then hydrolic. But some racers like the sound they make.
Because soild lifters hold the lift and duration more accurate then hydrolics do, they tend to make more power on larger cams that both can run and are vital on extreme camshaft grinds.
Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: difference between Mechanical and Hydraulic lifters?