Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Lift Cams (.700+) and the street, Who's doin it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High Lift Cams (.700+) and the street, Who's doin it?

Who out there is running anything over .700 lift on the street? Considering doing this my self with a titanium valves, jesel shaft rockers (pro series), and spring oilers, trying to get any ideas and suggestions on spring life expectancy and what's a good interval to test them. This is a street strip car and that's mainly what i'm interested in. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like you are going to use all good parts, which is critical. No feedback on street stuff but in the marine enviroment with .700" plus lift cams and minumum constant rpm of 3500 and some turning up to 6800 rpm we are seeing a 100 hours which equates to about 10K miles in a street car. Would be a good idea for you to get a on head spring checker and when the springs are first installed take a reading with this tool (about a $100) and note the seat pressure. Once it drops to -20% of original then I would replace springs.

Also with large rollers valve seats tend to move around until they seat themselves in the head. After your first initial 2K miles you may want to pull the heads and have them checked out and re-valve jobbed.

Go with a top endurance spring, do not skimp on money here.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's an excellent reply Chris! I'm going to pm you in a few, thanks!!!

Actually might as well reply here as this may be informative to some.

So when you site the example of the boat applications are you talking about the springs are going that far, that is pretty damn good and more then i'd a thought. Are you also having to replace valve guides and seats at those intervals as well?

As far as the valve seats maybe that's a good idea. These heads have only seen a few minutes of dyno time so they have some use already but maybe i'll drive a round for a bit and then go from there and pull them off to have them checked.

Do you have any recommendations for an "on the head spring checker"??? Something that will work on an f-body (do have a lift off hood and most of the cowl removed) with the jesel pro-serious stand? Thanks man, any help is much much appreciated as there just aren't that many people trying these retarded type lifts with street/strip setups. Leave it up to retards like me

Last edited by DAPSUPRSLO; 02-14-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
That's an excellent reply Chris! I'm going to pm you in a few, thanks!!!

Actually might as well reply here as this may be informative to some.

So when you site the example of the boat applications are you talking about the springs are going that far, that is pretty damn good and more then i'd a thought. Are you also having to replace valve guides and seats at those intervals as well?

Springs for good measure need to be replaced. Now we have to take into consideration the end users with these type of boats are in the high to low 6 and 7 figure income levels. Some of them have limited seasons so it is critical that the engines run all season. Lifters are inspected and if any question comes up about them then they are replaced. You should also inspect your lifters when you come down for service. Valve guide wear is not an issue if your geometry is correct. No excessive where in this catagory. Seats are in good shape but a fresh valve job is always a good idea.

As far as the valve seats maybe that's a good idea. These heads have only seen a few minutes of dyno time so they have some use already but maybe i'll drive a round for a bit and then go from there and pull them off to have them checked.

The seats can "seat" after dyno time in some cases. Depending on how many pulls you have.

Do you have any recommendations for an "on the head spring checker"??? Something that will work on an f-body (do have a lift off hood and most of the cowl removed) with the jesel pro-serious stand?

I believe the Moroso tool will work. It "grabs" the rocker and uses the rocker to open the valve. You just need to monitor seat pressure, not open pressure. Once you feel the valve start to open note the pressure. Now LSM I believe has one also.

Thanks man, any help is much much appreciated as there just aren't that many people trying these retarded type lifts with street/strip setups. Leave it up to retards like me
Your welcome. Any other questions you can PM or e-mail me.