Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on the price of a used LS1 short-block

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on the price of a used LS1 short-block

How much would you all say would be a good asking price for the following LS1 short block? The catch #5 had 12% leak down and #4 20% Motor burned about 1 QT every 300 miles.

Block has 12k
Block has been race de-burred
Stock LS1 rotating assembly (rods crank pistons 57k on them)
Stock pistons have been coated with Rolls-Royce moly dry film lubricant
Total Seal piston rings with gapless top rings
Clevite main bearings and race prepped rod bearings
Clevite seals
ARP rod bolts
Crankshaft has been micro polished and oil holes chamfered
Cylinders have been plateau honed
Old 02-19-2006, 02:51 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant get much for it, but at least you are honest about its problems.
id hate to spend 2K for a motor to find out it sucks oil that bad.

if i were gonna buy something like that, knowing id have to ring and bearing it, i wouldnt offer more than about 400-500 bucks.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I bought the car with this motor and was not told it was burning oil. I am having to drop almost 3 grand for a new shortblock and just want to try and get some of my money back..
Old 02-20-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have two options. It probiably needs to be bored 3.905 with new slugs because if it has different rings it has probiably been already honed once. Might hone out again, but again you'll have to see. I would pull it apart and see. You would probiably get more for it in parts than you would in a running short block to be honest. Get a look at the cylinders and have them mic'd. If the pistons mic out to be 3.8962 - 3.8969 and the cylinders give you a piston to cylinder clearance of 0.0007 - 0.00150 and they look good, then just hone it and throw rings in it. If it is more than .0015 then just go ahead and bore it 3.905 with new pistons. As for the crank, if it looks good have it polished and get new bearings. I will tell you this. If the crank is on the low end of what is tolerable, get .001 bearings, federal mogule makes bearings on .001 and .002 over and underssizes for both STD sizes and .010 under. I just went through this on my motor. My crank was on the low side of the stock clearances and I put in stock bearings at first "Clevette's" and I had about .0025 of clearance. On a stock crank that's not acceptable. Shoot for .001-.0018 or so and you would be good to go. I got a set of .001 oversize bearings and it put me right about @ .0015-.0018, so I was happy with that. In all honesty it's cheaper to do it yourself if you have any mechanical inclination. Putting a motor together isn't rocket science. Also there is a sense of gratification once you get it going and it runs good. Check all clearances and nothing can go wrong. It's up to you in the end though.