Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metallic noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation metallic noise?

i've got a little problem and wanted to get some opinions on what you guys think it might be before i dump a bunch of money into fixing the wrong things. i have a '00 z and when it's cold it has a "metallic" nose coming from the engine compartment. when the car warms up....the noise goes away. there isn't any power loss. i'm think along the lines of some kind of piston problem, but i'm kinda new to this so looking for some advise.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

also....i have an oil pan leak. i bottomed out in a dip in the road i didn't see. wondering if i may have done something to oil pump? i'm really don't have a clue at this point.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Jack up the front of the car start the engine and take a look around under the car and listen. You can put your hand on the oil pan and feel if something is hitting the pan. Look at your exhaust to for any small holes or leaks. If its been doing it for a while and it is a exhaust leak there will be a carbon streak or "shadow" I guess you could call it from the exhaust. My car does it when it is cold in the morning and then it goes away after it warms up and the pipes get hot. But I have a thirdgen with a header that has a stripped bolt where the header connects to the y-pipe.