Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot heads, rough CNC worth polishing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Patriot heads, rough CNC worth polishing?

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a set of stage 2 patriot heads from Tiger2o69 new. He sent me pics of the CNC port work and it definately looks rough.. and he offered to hook me up and get them ported from 59cc to 63cc and polished to a mirror finish on exhaust side, leaving some roughness on the intake side for optimal a/f mix. This work is $200 from a sponsor, in addition to the $1050 I paid for the heads.

Is this worth it? Tim (tiger) offered excellent reasons for doing this (he is leaving the choice up to me obviously) and said that it could help keep the heads clean and increase flow. I also was a little nervous about the 59cc chambers being a little high compression for me, (went with cartek 224/228 113lsa 112icl)

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump, anyone?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would rather have the combustion chambers cnc'd to meet your targeted CR and squish.

Last edited by gollum; 02-19-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

what is the difference then of getting cnc machined 63cc, or buying 59cc and having them ported and polished to open them up a little, and get rid of the rough finish?

I'm trying to decide if 59cc on a cartek 224/228 cam is good or should I port them... i guess thats the question. if 59cc will be good (worry about detonation/ping in hot weather).
Old 02-19-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 59cc chamber will give you an approximate 11:1 compression ratio and in your part of the world that should not be an issue even in the summer if using 91 or 93 octane. that compression is fine for your cam.
do you have the flow sheet?
email me the pics if you want and I will take a look at them, give you my thoughts on your options.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Demon SS
the 59cc chamber will give you an approximate 11:1 compression ratio and in your part of the world that should not be an issue even in the summer if using 91 or 93 octane. that compression is fine for your cam.
do you have the flow sheet?
email me the pics if you want and I will take a look at them, give you my thoughts on your options.

Thanks so much Demon SS, I will do that!! I have the pictures at my office and I will forward them to you tomorrow morning.

Thanks again! can you PM me the email address I can forward them to?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
Thanks so much Demon SS, I will do that!! I have the pictures at my office and I will forward them to you tomorrow morning.

Thanks again! can you PM me the email address I can forward them to?
send them here scott@ffhp.net
Old 02-20-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Demon SS
send them here scott@ffhp.net
pics sent from my work address, jeffrey.guerrera@pwutc
Old 02-20-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although Patriot Performance does really good CNC work, I think any track line is worth getting rid of on the exhaust side. Intake is another thing though. I don't think the 200$ is worth it if you can do it yourself. You just need a steady hand and some knowledge of head porting.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are really not going to get much gains from removing the CNC ridges. I do not think it would be worth paying to do on those heads. If you werwe building a max effort large cube motor and had a set of 3k $ heads i would tell you differently. You will be incredible happy bolting them on the way they are. I would leave the combustion chamber at 59 also, get the car tuned for them...... compression is your friend...
Old 02-20-2006, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

I would probably stay with the 59cc as well. I intended to do so here in ms where it gets pretty hot. I did a good bit of research on this and several people around the south had mid to high 11s on 93 octane and did well with it.

As far as the polishing goes I really like the peace of mind that they wont get carbon deposits and they willl be smooth. I talked to ffhp a while back about this and I believe they go ahead and do it on their patriot heads right? I assume so since they around $15XX. I talked with several others about how much it would be and its ranged from $250 (ffhp) to $500 (Futral).

Im definetly sticking with Patriot Heads. I havent found any better bang for the buck and Gunner has super service. He is letting me send these heads in to him to be checked out and then off to this guy or someone to polish them. My 68cc heads are already ordered from them and going to Bo. Appreciate him still porting them for me as well. Supposed to have gotten them to him before he stopped porting
Old 02-20-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
I would probably stay with the 59cc as well. I intended to do so here in ms where it gets pretty hot. I did a good bit of research on this and several people around the south had mid to high 11s on 93 octane and did well with it.

As far as the polishing goes I really like the peace of mind that they wont get carbon deposits and they willl be smooth. I talked to ffhp a while back about this and I believe they go ahead and do it on their patriot heads right? I assume so since they around $15XX. I talked with several others about how much it would be and its ranged from $250 (ffhp) to $500 (Futral).

Im definetly sticking with Patriot Heads. I havent found any better bang for the buck and Gunner has super service. He is letting me send these heads in to him to be checked out and then off to this guy or someone to polish them. My 68cc heads are already ordered from them and going to Bo. Appreciate him still porting them for me as well. Supposed to have gotten them to him before he stopped porting

This is such a hard desicion. its 1/2 and 1/2. I ordered gaskets already for these heads, mls patriot 6.0's, they'll work regardless of 59cc or 63cc correct? Maybe i'll pocket the $200 and screw it. Bank was closed today Tim so I still have like 12 hours to decide if I want Bo to port them lmao.. don't worry either way I'm buying your heads.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone for your responses, been very helpful. I'm just a little apprehensive about higher compression for some reason.. scared of blowing my block.. lol, 48k miles on it, 1/2 woman miles, 1/4 hwy miles, the other.. well, you know..
Old 02-20-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BBADWS6
You are really not going to get much gains from removing the CNC ridges. I do not think it would be worth paying to do on those heads. If you werwe building a max effort large cube motor and had a set of 3k $ heads i would tell you differently. You will be incredible happy bolting them on the way they are. I would leave the combustion chamber at 59 also, get the car tuned for them...... compression is your friend...
One thing East Side Performance told me over the phone was compression didn't really do a whole lot as far as hp gain.. Sean (or Scott) said that on his ls1, they went from 11:1 to 13:1, and gained 8whp.

Will this wear the **** out of my rings going 11:1? Or are my concerns totally based around my ricer days? Should I not give a flying foo? oi..

Someone on this board swore on 59cc heads, saying that he got much crisper throttle response.. omg so difficult.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say stay with the 59cc. I run 93 in mine all the time and have had no isues yet. Mine is with a 228 cam and it works great.

Save the money for a new rear you will need later. LOL...
Old 02-20-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00SS4780
I say stay with the 59cc. I run 93 in mine all the time and have had no isues yet. Mine is with a 228 cam and it works great.

Save the money for a new rear you will need later. LOL...

great, more money to spend on new parts.. lol.

Ok guys, you've all been really helpful thus far. I'm thinking i'll stick with 59cc chambers.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick with the 59cc's. Compression is always helpful, and a .4 compression diffrence isn't going to make much diffrence in ring wear. The compression will help throttle response, and no matter what any one says, adds HP. A rule of thumb is 7-10 hp per full point of compression. No matter what Eastside said, diffrent motors like diffrent things. There's no telling why there car only gained what it did, but if there car is not exactly the same as yours, it should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
There's no telling why there car only gained what it did, but if there car is not exactly the same as yours, it should be taken with a grain of salt.
Well said mate. i'm really glad you chimed in. Sounds like after all these great responses I'll stick w/ 59cc chambers. I'll definately post up dyno results etc.