Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got all my cam swap parts, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got all my cam swap parts, opinions?

I got my F14, Pushrods, Patriot Gold Duals with retainers yada yada, water pump gaskets, balancer bolt, and ls2 timing chain.

Heres the thing, I dont wanna drop my car off for a tune until march 11th when I go outta town all week long, since its my DD. Should I throw the cam in this week and adjust the TB screw and drive it for 2 weeks or should I wait until 3-4 days before I leave to do it? Thanks - Darren
Old 02-20-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

bueller??
Old 02-20-2006, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you taking it for the tune? How long will it take? I was able to have mine tuned while I waited, though I'm not in Texas.

How confident are you in your ability to do the install successfully and in a timely manner? Will you have any experienced people helping, or any helping hands at all? What kind of valve spring compressor do you plan to use? If you waited until a few days before would you be able to work all day every day for a few days?

An F14 wouldn't be very fun to drive untuned, but you could do it if you wanted. You shouldn't have a problem doing it a few days before, but be warned that things like this have a habit of taking longer than expected due to unforseen problems.

Check my sig for my original post with cam swap recommendations.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks.... The place I am taking it for tuning can do it all in a day or two but they prefer to have it for a week just to make sure everything is perfect, which sounds ok to me

I will be doing it with my dad and a buddy, none of us have done it on an LS1 before, but my dad is a pretty decent mechanic and my buddy and I have done alot of bolt ons.... Ill prob wait til right before I leave, but DAMN its hard to look at this stuff sitting here and not install it
Old 02-20-2006, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

I say give yourself a week before the tune, assuming you aren't too limited in what days you can work. Maybe try to do it the last weekend before the tune, start on friday night and give yourself sat and sunday just to be safe.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

the only thing that is kinda worrying me right now about the install is the whole pulley situation.... I bought a new 'balancer' bolt from SDPC is this the same thing as the crank bolt? How would I know if its the 1" longer one? sorry lol my experience is limited to bolt ons

also I dont know about getting a torch
Old 02-20-2006, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TTU98SS
the only thing that is kinda worrying me right now about the install is the whole pulley situation.... I bought a new 'balancer' bolt from SDPC is this the same thing as the crank bolt? How would I know if its the 1" longer one? sorry lol my experience is limited to bolt ons

also I dont know about getting a torch
You only use the longer bolt to seat/reinstall the pulley. The new one you bought is what will be used in final assembly and stay in place. You should only use them once because they are torque to yield. Yes, the balancer bolt is the crank bolt.

I didn't have a longer bolt to install my pulley, used a torch instead.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

so where can i get the longer bolt? im assuming it will only be a few bucks and I can save alot of trouble with it,,,
Old 02-20-2006, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't find a longer bolt to install my pulley either, so I just used the above method blkz28spt used......grabbed my little propane torch and heated the inside of the new pulley up and it literally slid 80% onto the crank snout, then used the old bolt to get it the rest of the way on. Much quicker/easier than having to hunt for the right bolt IMHO.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Don't use a longer bolt to seat the pulley. Go buy a piece of metric threaded rod and cut it to fit. Pull the new pulley on using the threaded rod and some washers and a nut. Also, go get a couple 5/16 (I think) dowel rods to hold up the lifters.