Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm F*****

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I'm F*****

Ok well I have been in the process of a H/C swap for about a month now working very slowly due to my busy schedule. Well the day came today to finally fire the car up and what do I get..... first it backfired out of the exhaust and then it would turn over but nothing else. So we checked all of the electrical connections and disconnected and reconnected the plug wires, go to try it again and I now get a backfire from the intake manifold which I know is not good I know for sure that when I installed the cam the dots were lined up perfectly, apparently not though. Is there anyting else that would cause this problem, the car turned perfectly by hand and never gave any resistance. Is there any hope?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

any ideas?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What timing chain and gears did you use? Stock or adjustable?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be ignition. Do you have the coil connections mixed up?

Cam timing- Hard for you to completely been off if you saw the doots lined up. THat should be it.

I'm betting it's something with the ignition. Did you seperate any of the connections going to the indiviual coils? All it takes is two to be crossed up.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an observation, but your car when turning over should have some resistance. It shouldn't turn over my hand with a pinky or anything. It should have some resistance when cylinders are building up compression, you'll need to put a little muscle when compression occurs. Did you get your heads preassembled? It sounds to me like your valves timings aren't right if you're sure that all your electical connections are golden. I would pull off the timing cover and check your dot to dot. While you're here, I suggest checking and making sure that your cam is properly aligned with your cam gear. When i did mine, my cam didn't come with a pin and I had to make note and make sure that the alignment hole in the cam lined up to the cam gear. I also suggest taking off the drivers side head and check all your valves and your pistons to make sure you didn't get any PTV contact. While you're at this point, it would be really easy to go ahead and degree in your cam. Sometimes I've seen cams ground up to 3 or 4 degrees off from the stated ICL. What your describing sounds like a timing issue. Pray that you didn't destroy your pistons and or your brand new ETP heads/valves!

Best of Luck!!!
Adrian
Old 02-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Launching!

When mine H/C was done the coil packs were installed backwards on the drivers side and it did the same thing.We flipped all four packs around and it fired up.

Maybe that?

Jay
Old 02-23-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

last time I had that problem was on an old SBC when the distributor was 180* out. Make real sure your coil wires are correct, and if so I'd start pulling it apart to verify the cam
Old 02-23-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the coil packs thing is new to me so thats what I'll do first, if I still don't have any luck then I'm going to tear off the timing cover tomorrow and seen whats up there. Oh yeah there is resistance when turning it over, but from compression like you said. What I meant is its not lcking up.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could this mean that his pushrods are a little bit to long(i mean like .25) and all he is detenating is fuel with no compression?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, its probably the coil packs then. Try that out and see if you have luck! It sounds like valve timing is fine if you're getting compression....phewww. If you didn't touch the little coilpack harnesses, then try swapping the drivers side coilpack rack with the passengers, and watch her fire up!

As far at the pushrods being too long, I don't think that would be the problem. If the valves weren't closing because the pushrods were too long then it wouldn't turn over.

best of luck!
Adrian
Old 02-23-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Haans249
Ok, its probably the coil packs then. Try that out and see if you have luck! It sounds like valve timing is fine if you're getting compression....phewww. If you didn't touch the little coilpack harnesses, then try swapping the drivers side coilpack rack with the passengers, and watch her fire up!

As far at the pushrods being too long, I don't think that would be the problem. If the valves weren't closing because the pushrods were too long then it wouldn't turn over.

best of luck!
Adrian
I dont see why it wouldent turn over if the valves wernt closing but you probily know more than me so ill take your word for it !
Old 02-23-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

It wouldn't turn over because the piston would hit the valve and cause the engine to stop turning over. If you walked into a wall would you keep going? =P

Adrian
Old 02-23-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK well I flipped the coil pack on the driver side but no luck. How would I know if they were reversed, just trial an error?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:43 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

There are numbers on them.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

can someone look real quick and tell me which numbers are supposed to be nearest to teh front of the car on each side?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

what do you mean you "flipped" it? We meant "switch" them with the passenger side. You may have installed the passenger side coilpacks on the drivers side and the drivers on the passenger side. Check the numbers of the coil packs, and make sure that you have the right coilpacks on the proper side. So, coil number one should be facing towards the front of the car on the drivers side. Its that easy!!

Let us know if that works!!!
Adrian
Old 02-23-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK the numbers are in the correct order so if there aren't any other electrical possabalities then I'm just gonna tear it apart.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT!!!!

I want this thing to run so I can go for a damn ride !
Old 02-23-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok well heres a thought, the install guide doesn't say to line up the dots prior to removing the cam, so does it matter if the cam gear is matched up to the dot on either rotation? It takes two rotations to full turn the piston up or down but does this effect the install?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

It IS the coil packs. I've seen lots of people do this on 98's. Trust me on this. Did you swap the passenger side?