Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump failed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pump failed?

If an oil pump were to fail in an ls1 engine, what would you expect to find inside of the pump? Failed as in zero oil pressure. I pulled the pump out and opened it up, looked used but nothing cracked, broken, spring was fine etc. If it wasn't the oil pump failing, where do I look next without yanking the engine out? This is in reference to this last thread of mine https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/452904-oil-pump-question.html
Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the relief valve piston sticks which doesn't allow any oil to go into the block, but dumps it back to the pan.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would I be able to know if this is what happened? The piston looked like it was all the way up. Above it there was a small hole which I could see daylight through. Shouldn't extra pressure push the piston down against the spring. I don't know why there would be a hole above it. And the hole is round, doesn't look like an accident. I dunno, could the pickup have become blocked that quick and easy. And is there a way to check it without completely dropping the oil pan? Please help me