Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Help me choose a cam please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Help me choose a cam please?

Hey guys i am kinda new to the whole cam thing i read the sticky and its still kinda overwelming. I am either going with a cam or converter for my income tax check i will have about 1100.00 to spend and i was told by a local place(md) that they could do either for that just figuring out which one. Right now i have borla catback, kn filter, lid, bellows, used to have crap tires when i ran at the track, transGo shift kit, new good tires definetly hook up better. Best time before was a 13.191 @107.89 i have a 98 ls1 and am looking for the best bang for my buck. Any help is awesome guys.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

I would do it right the first time and buy a converter first. Then when you save some more money you can get the cam you want, but have a cam in mind to choose a converter.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, you need to know what cam your gonna run or at least the duration so you can choose the proper stall for it. Wont do you any good to choose something in the 3000 range if your gonna run the trex. (just and example) You really need to figure out what your goals are with with car. Is it a daily driver with occasional track time, is it just a track car. Those are two different applications right there. You can have a cam/car that perfoms well at the track but is kind of a pig on the street. The same is true but not as much the other way around. You can have a decent street cam/car do good at the track and be made to do great with a little n2o. What is your goal at the track? What times do you want to hit? You really need to think about all of the above before buying anything.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

I would go with a TC before a cam. Do you have headers? I would go with headers before a cam. You want that cam to breathe...... I have a SSF3500 on my daily driver and I love it. With either TC or cam you will need a tune.

Bill
Old 02-26-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
I would go with a TC before a cam. Do you have headers? I would go with headers before a cam. You want that cam to breathe...... I have a SSF3500 on my daily driver and I love it. With either TC or cam you will need a tune.

Bill
Exactly. Modding a car is a process. The cam will be pointless without headers and a converter.