Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 type head for 408ci??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 type head for 408ci??

As u all know my 408ci is running ok,however I want more.I have the afr 205's which I know are quite small,I was thinking has ETP or anybody already make the LS7 type head to fit a 4.030bore.I was thinking that, that way Ill just purchase the LS7 intake and go from there.Does anything have to be done to the pistons to clear ptv?Sometimes I wonder how much more power can I make with this heads,hmmm...If somebody make them soon my 205 are for sale
Old 02-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming your wishing to retain the same pistons, you'll need to limit your search for heads to those with valve angles and positions with realtively the same geometry as the ones your currently using, ie 15º valve angle. The LS7 heads have a different valve angle and positions in the cylinder bore. The 13º All Pro heads have more ideal valve locations for use in 4.0"+ bore engines and they're an LS7 style (rectangular) port head, but would require valve reliefs be machined into your pistons (or better yet, change to proper pistons). That leaves the cathedral port style heads. There are several manufacturers that produce larger port heads with stock valve positions and angles. Edelbrock, All Pro, AFR and ET and Dart to name a few.

Good luck,

Richard
Old 02-25-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

If changing pistons is what I need to get those 11 degree heads to work Ill do so,just looking for options.I know ETP is working on a LS7 head type,however what other options do I have,those LS7 flow #s are pretty impressive
Old 02-25-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you keep the camshaft respectable in size, you can do it without changing the pistons. You gain a good bit of free drop when you roll the valve angle over to 11 or 12*'s. ETP already has their LS7 heads for sale for small and large bore. The bad part is the back order. The GM LS7 castings may be a more abundant choice. Remember you'll have to swap to the LS7 intake also.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Collections Hold

Default ls7

we do offer a LS7 bore head for the 4" bore combo. Pistons will not be hard to work out. I am building an engine for my car right now with this exact combo. Diamond will be making the pistons for me. They will be able to make these for anyone. This will be my test bed for this combo. It looks like a couple of things will need to be sorted out with the LS7 manifold, injector type? throttle cable?? and relocation of the map sensor wires. Looks like it wont be too hard. I will make fuel rails with the LS7 angle and standard Bosch injectors. It is a little retro fitting, but not too difficult.

cary
Old 02-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI the minimum bore size for the LS7 heads is 4.06". The exhaust valves will hit the top edge of smaller cylinder bores. The All Pro LSW heads will fit the bore, but will require it's own intake manifold as the intake port roof lines are taller than the LS7. I'm told that a 4 bbl intake is being developed for these heads and available in a month or two. I'm not sure about requirements for ET's LS7 style heads. Perhaps someone will chime in with info on their setup. Just doesn't seem like anything LS7 style is bolt on ready at this time..........give it a month or two and that should change!

Richard
Old 02-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Collections Hold

Default et ls7

our ls7 4" bore heads are bolt on, using the factory ls7 manifold and rocker arms. Ours do not have the factory integral pedestals. We have machined them flat like our 11 degree heads. We use a billett pedestal for use with factory rocker arms. They are machined to the proper level to use Jesels LS7 kit, which would require machining on factory heads. We have also gone with the longer 5.450 valve length, which assures that any size valve spring can be used with our cylinder head with out getting thin in the water jacket area and the port roof is still .250 thick with a 1.660 spring. We have machined the proper port entrance and bolt pattern for the factory manifold. The valve cover is raised to fit with the ls7 rockers and to use ls1 valve covers. Lastly, the guide spacing and valve size is proportionate to the 4" bore. We use a 2.125 intkae and 1.600 exhaust, maintaining the same radial distance, valve to bore that the 4.125 LS7 has. So yes it is a bolt on.

Cary
Old 02-26-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

So let me get this straight,your LS7 heads will work with my 4.030bore,a stock LS7 intake,and stock LS7 rockers arms,providing I use your pedestal mounts.I dont want no special jesel this or that.Just kinda want a bolt on thing.Can u change the valve seat and valve size on factory LS7 heads to fit a 4.030bore??If everything looks good the change should come soon!!!!!1
Old 02-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Collections Hold

Default you are correct

Originally Posted by marine02ss
So let me get this straight,your LS7 heads will work with my 4.030bore,a stock LS7 intake,and stock LS7 rockers arms,providing I use your pedestal mounts.I dont want no special jesel this or that.Just kinda want a bolt on thing.Can u change the valve seat and valve size on factory LS7 heads to fit a 4.030bore??If everything looks good the change should come soon!!!!!1
yes it does not need a jesel system to work. The Jesel will fit though. We cannot put the standard LS7 valves in, that is why we built a head specifically for the 4 inch bore. the valves are moved closer together to get the proper radial distance off the bore. the port is the same except for just below the valve it is smaller on the intake.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Smallest bore with the GM LS7's is 4.060" like Richard mentioned. You would need ET's small bore LS7's for your application.

Quick Reply: LS7 type head for 408ci??