Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped a vaccum plug down the intake port!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Angry Dropped a vaccum plug down the intake port!

Well, I was in the process of installing my FAST 90 intake. I had it positioned in place on the heads. I moved it foward a bit to connect the map and the vacuum line. There was a T on the manifold, and I put a 3/16" rubber plug on one port because I removed the AIR system. Well I found I had to switch the plug to get the vaccum line to fit. So I go to pull it off and of course it pops off. It bounced and I think fell down the #8 intake port. Well I start looking, and use a camera to try to snap some better images, and feel around with the screwdriver, and I don't see or feel it. Pull off the valvecover, and of course the god damn #8 intake rocker is holding the valve open. I back the bolt out to close the valve, and try to poke and prod around some more, but I don't see it. I'm betting its in the cylinder now.

So anyone have any have any hints how to get it out before I start pulling the head? Anyway I could fit some kind of vacuum attachment in the spark plug hole, pull the cylinder up to TDC and try to suck it out?

Also I have ARP head bolts, are they reusable? And will I need another GM MLS gasket? Just did the head swap last winter, and they've only got about 3k miles on them. And this is going to sound retarded, but I kind of wish I had just bought head studs in hindsight, but what if I bought studs now I just installed it on the pass side? This will be the 3rd time the heads are coming off so I'm worried about the beating on the threads.

Well, thanks for any help. I'm probably going to go hang myself now. These are the times you hate working on cars.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:52 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain...I really do.

Yes the studs are reusable...probley will need to change the gasket as well.

Other than that I wish I could help you more...best of luck getting that bitch out.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The studs are, but I still have the bolts, are they reusable? Or I was thinking about just buying the studs now, though it would look pretty stupid having studs on one head and bolts on the other.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

The bolts are re-usable.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good times huh??

Don't sweat it...just deal with the situation and move on.

Assuming your reasonably sure it is in fact down #8 and not on the floor or caught in the starter wiring or some other BS then you might try opening the intake valve as much as she will go, remove the spark plug, then maybe with a piece of wood (or metal, even duct tape perhaps) cover the intake port and just leave a hole smaller than the vac hose opening and I think there is a good chance you might be able to suck it out. The trick is to definately remove the sparkplug so the air can rush thru the cylinder/chamber and pull the vac cap up into the int port and ultimately your shop vac with a little luck. Without removing the plug you probably wouldnt get enough airflow to pick up the cap.

Also, make sure you have full vac suction being applied and thats why you have to cover the rest of the port....duct tape placed firmly should be enough....and make sure you use your best, bad to the bone shop vac with a CLEAN filter so it pulls the hardest on that chamber. Also you might want to put your finger on and off the spark plug when the vac is pulling so it disrupts the airflow and perhaps moves the cap into the stream of air heading up and into the vacuum.

Remove the top of the vacuum and pray (last step)....hopefully you see it laying in the bottom of the vac container.

Good luck....let us know how you make out!

Tony
Old 03-04-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to suggest like Tony M said. A vacuum hose through the spark plug hole. You coulnt have picked a more difficult cylinder. May you have better luck tomorrow...
Old 03-04-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Tony, thats a good idea. Believe me, I looked all over the engine bay and garage floor for the cap. I was laying on top of the motor squeezing my arm in the back to feel around. I'm going to jack it up tomorrow first thing to look around the headers and k-member just in case. Kills me, I just got my manifold back from you and was all ready to install, and bad luck strikes!
Old 03-05-2006, 04:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also try some wire with some duct tape or other really sticky tape attached to the end and fish around the intake port. Also pull the plug and either try to fish it out or turn the engine over with the plug out and try to blow it out.

If it's soft rubber, I would even consider running it and bloing it out that way. You sure don't want to pull the head and find that it was never in there - unless you specifically saw it go down the port.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally, I would try to locate a boroscope to visualy find where it is, if indeed it is in the cylinder.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

SUCCESS!!! SUCCESS!!!!

It came out, using a wet dry vac and Tony's method. I tried it first leaving the valve closed, and nothing. Then I torqued the rocker down and opened it, and it came out, so it was in the cylinder. Wow, the excitement of seeing that little rubber bastard at the bottom of the vac probably rivaled the first time I saw *****. What a relief. That just made my day.

Tony Mamo, wow first you give me a nice port job on my FAST, then you save me about 5 hours worth of extra work.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:50 AM

I just replaced the head gaskets on a friend's car, when we were only going to do a FAST 90/ NW 90 on his car. & yes the ARP head studs are reusable.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:52 AM

FAST 90/ NW 90

Old FAST 78, Mine Now.

Heads.

I feel your pain.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:53 AM

Be carefull with the rocker studs.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Wow, the excitement of seeing that little rubber bastard at the bottom of the vac probably rivaled the first time I saw *****
That was pretty funny!

Glad to hear your back on your way....

(Looks like you were right about it dropping in #8 as well!)
Old 03-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

AWESOME!! It's always great when you can recover from a screw-up without creating huge amounts of work or grief. It was probably a good call not to hang yourself ...