Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched a valve stem, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Scratched a valve stem, now what?

During my spring swap I scratched the intake valve stem about a 1/4" - 3/8" above the top of the seal while trying to remove the old seal. I can feel the scratch with my nail but it isn't very bad...can I expect the new seal to get chewed up right away and start leaking oil, or will it hold up for a while how it is?

Anyone every done this before?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you polish it down with a dremel and a felt wheel? Atleast get the high spots off so it dosnt tear up the seal.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Can you polish it down with a dremel and a felt wheel? Atleast get the high spots off so it dosnt tear up the seal.
I was thinking about that...I just don't wanna slip and cause more damage. What kind of polish should I use on the wheel?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NassyVette
I was thinking about that...I just don't wanna slip and cause more damage. What kind of polish should I use on the wheel?

Thanks
I'd take the seal off already if it isnt yet, then Id polish it with the felt wheel and whatever polish comes with it in the dremel kit. Even rubbing compound would probably work. Might want to tape up the area to keep junk from dropping in the heads. Just make it so that its not going to cut up the seal, and you should be fine.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I'd take the seal off already if it isnt yet, then Id polish it with the felt wheel and whatever polish comes with it in the dremel kit. Even rubbing compound would probably work. Might want to tape up the area to keep junk from dropping in the heads. Just make it so that its not going to cut up the seal, and you should be fine.
Sounds good, I'll give it a shot this weekend...hopefully it'll be enough to keep it from leaking.

Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: Scratched a valve stem, now what?