Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Failure?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump Failure?!

Well i was driving home last night, noticed my oil pressure was a bit low, but still driveable. Started clankin a bit Right as i turned onto my street, so i killed it and coasted it into my driveway. Started it up this morning for about 5 seconds, and there's no pressure at all and it was CLankiNG like HELL. Assuming its not just going to be an easy fix like changing out the oil pump, how badly has this damaged my engine overall in the worst case scenario?
Old 03-25-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life
Well i was driving home last night, noticed my oil pressure was a bit low, but still driveable. Started clankin a bit Right as i turned onto my street, so i killed it and coasted it into my driveway. Started it up this morning for about 5 seconds, and there's no pressure at all and it was CLankiNG like HELL. Assuming its not just going to be an easy fix like changing out the oil pump, how badly has this damaged my engine overall in the worst case scenario?
Replace the oil pump you'll likely be fine as long as you didnt drive it under load too far with no oil pressure.....it sounds like you didnt.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Banned

well. assuming that you only lost the pump. You may be ok with replacing it. other than that grind polish crank, new rods mains.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how many miles are on your car? how do you usually drive your car?
Old 03-25-2006, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

I mainly want to know what the worst case scenario is from having driven it like this. Anyway i can tell ? I did check the oil and there aren't any metal shavings of any kind in it so that's a start...
Old 03-25-2006, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
how many miles are on your car? how do you usually drive your car?
got 65k on it. I've raced it probably 4-5 times at the track, other than that i usually never wind out the motor. I've treated her nicely =D
Old 03-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

Id stab ls6 pump in it, Maybe the grommet in the pick up freakishly broke? I seem to have a good ls1, no PCV issues, good psi nearing 100K
Old 03-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Banned

Many LS1 owners are faced with a few issues. There's the oil pumps that randomly die, the rod bolts that randomly break, roller rockers that randomly lose their bearings, and the oil consumption issue that seems to haunt some and not others. The oil consumption issue seems to be one of the most common issues on all LS1's out there, and this is due to the way the stock PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system is setup.
from LS1HOWTO.COM
Old 03-25-2006, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Would the Loud Clanking when i started it up this morning signify Any Damage? I mean, when i pulled onto my street it started clankin pretty good but the oil pressure wasn't completely at 0, just really low. I immediately shut her off and just let it coast into my driveway. Then i started up this morning, and there was ZERO oil pressure, and some VERY LOUD *** NOISES comming from my engine.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did that in 2002 and I lost the whole motor, only ran like that for a minute at best. Do NOT start it again. The oil pump failed on mine, took out the bearings VERY quickly. If I were in your shoes I'd take it apart to be sure. I had 35K on the motor when it happened and GM said screw off.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you can, id say replace the pump, and before you start it, disconnect the coil packs and crank it some so that you have oil throughout the engine. Then Fire it up, and hope for the best. If you broke it, its broke, why not start it up, and hope its alright?

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Failure?!