Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston swap with engine still in car???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Piston swap with engine still in car???

Has anyone done this.How hard is it to do and how do I go about doing this. My engine has about 110k miles on it and I just want to get it up and running.I broke the last piston on the passenger side.I also know it took in some coolent.I'm guessing the head gasket leaked.I checked all the cylinder walls and it all seemed fine.Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Old 03-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Banned

I would never do this with the engine in the car. Also, I wouldn't change only the piston and not have the cylinder honed 1st. If you're going to have it in the machine shop you might as well rebuild the whole thing and have fresh bearings and the like.

You need to start searching about how to remove the engine. I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to raise the motor and working around the k-member and having to remove the oil pan, much less line it up per factory spec.

I see a big cluster f*ck waiting for you if you don't do this the right way.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

are you kidding????
Old 03-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Launching!

I guess the more helpful way of saying this is, no you cant do it with the engine in the car.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wasn't going to take it to a shop,or change anything else on it.Only the piston and the ring.Since I was going to get a new longblock anyway,but if its that much work I guess I'll just wait for a longblock.I really hate seeing her like this
Old 03-26-2006, 01:36 AM
Launching!

it would be so much easier just to pull the motor.. your talkin bout pullin the k-member then having to go from the bottom and undo from crank. then lower car..then lift car..back and forth....just pull it...
Old 03-26-2006, 04:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

What would be easier, taking off your girlfreinds clothes to sex0r her, or cutting a hole in her pants and underware.

Do it the right way or it's just going to make it harder. Pulling the motor isnt that bad.... if you have a place and the appropriate tools.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jermzz
What would be easier, taking off your girlfreinds clothes to sex0r her, or cutting a hole in her pants and underware.

Do it the right way or it's just going to make it harder. Pulling the motor isnt that bad.... if you have a place and the appropriate tools.
Bwahahaha! I crown you the king of metaphors! Beautiful!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FunkyTownFBody
Bwahahaha! I crown you the king of metaphors! Beautiful!
DITTO that was a good one I guess its gonna be a long spring and summer of waiting for my new longblock
Old 03-26-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will be thankful you did it the right way when the longblock is in. Slapping in one piston is a bad band-aid and a waste of your time
Old 03-27-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I agree with the others that its best to pull the engine, I still believe it is possible. Youll need to drop the K member and oil pan which is a huge pain in the ***. Depending on how the piston broke, its best to use the compression rings that cam out of that cylinder. Rumor has it, when GM replaces the number 7 or 8 piston for slap reasons, they reuse the rings and done hone. Not sure, but I would assume they drop the motor for the job.