Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the motor Trashed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the motor Trashed?

Ok well im completely lost now.. we finshed a cam and head swap about a 2 weeks ago and was having i little bit of a knock to the motor, and really low oil pressure. i was planing on working on it again but it got to cold so i decided to send it to a shop. Well today they took apart the heads after seeing that one of the comp r lifters was trashed. I just checked on there progress and now they cant get a few of the lifters out..They are saying that they could get them out but they might score the sleeves where the lifters sit and it would be better to get another block. Is there anyway to take out the lifters without tearing up the sleeves? I just dont have enough money to buy another block..
Thanks for any help.
Trav
Old 03-28-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

If the lifter bores are scored, you'll have to machine bushings for the lifter bore, or go with the new block.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the lifter bores already scored? Or are they worried about scoringthem if they try to pull them out. You can push the lifters down, but youll have to pull the oil pan to get them out. Not gonna be fun if the motor is still in the car.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Well now i have the motor sitting in a crate with a rebuilt ls1 in the car now but im having the same damn problem. Could heads cause low oil pressure? There is a respectable shop that has been working on the car, after the lifter screw up and the motor has been in and out of the car 3 times now with no luck. new oil pump nothing, rebuilt motor nothing, the only thing thats the same on the new motor are the heads.. the car isnt smoking at all but at idle the car has 6psi and when you give it gas it goes to 20...
Old 05-20-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One of the things that can affect oil pressure with a head swap is the amount of preload on the lifters.

If the head is "thick" the preload will be less and the oil seal to pushrod on both the lifter and the rocker end suffer.

If you can measure it, increase your preload by 0.005"-0.010" and see what the oil pressure does.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Teching In

humm well ill defently ask them about that... what is really strange is that both times the head was leaking antifreeze perfect oil pressure but when they where tighted... none. keep the suggestions coming cars been in the shop for about 3 months and i want them damn thing back!