Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone broke a C5-R block?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone broke a C5-R block?

Just like the title says, is it possible to crack a C5-R block? Did anyone damage it to the point where it is not repairable anymore?
Old 03-30-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm certain someone has. You hang a rod or something and its game over.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Banned

Heh...sounds like a question that doesn't need answering.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen a few guys post about cracking sleeves in a post about the MID vs. C5-R blocks. Should be repairable, but still pointless when you buy a $6,000 block. You could buy almost 3 LS2 big bore blocks for the price of one C5R.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Marhaba Khaled,

Broke the 427? What makes you think so? Bad compression?
Overheating can crack the sleeves, like high speed runs for extended period of time.

I broke mine last week at the track, you know about it. 2 pistons gone. 383 coming soon.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

See you at the races
Old 03-30-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Marhaba Khaled,

Broke the 427? What makes you think so? Bad compression?
Overheating can crack the sleeves, like high speed runs for extended period of time.

I broke mine last week at the track, you know about it. 2 pistons gone. 383 coming soon.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

See you at the races
Hey Mark yeah I've heard about your incident. Good luck with the 383.

No Iam not having any trouble with mine. Iam just checking to see how bullet proof is the C5-R block. Iam thinking of going FI & I have to make a choice on whether lower the CR of my current motor & boost it, or sell it & get a low CR 402. I prefer the first option, but as you know anything can go wrong and the idea of damaging a C5-R block scares me
Old 03-30-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

In my very humble opinion, there was a time when a C5R block may have been a much better option for big cubes. That was when nobody could sleeve motors very well. Now days, you can get a re-sleeved LS2 block that is a VERY stout piece. Personally, I'd sell the C5R block, get a 4.200 LS2 (441" with a 4" stroke), redo it, and 'make' money on the deal.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxhp
Hey Mark yeah I've heard about your incident. Good luck with the 383.

No Iam not having any trouble with mine. Iam just checking to see how bullet proof is the C5-R block. Iam thinking of going FI & I have to make a choice on whether lower the CR of my current motor & boost it, or sell it & get a low CR 402. I prefer the first option, but as you know anything can go wrong and the idea of damaging a C5-R block scares me
The thing you'll have to watch if you go boost is the ring gapping and pistons on your C5R. That is if you plan a lot of boost.

You can slap on a set of 72 cc AFR to lower compression and run 10>14 psi all day with an intercooler. But more than that will require gas relief pistons and proper ring gapping.

As for the block, C5R is the mother of all racing chevy blocks. To bust that one is pretty hard, if it is tuned and cooled properly.

Also a proper boost cam will be necessary for DCR under boost.

I would never get rid of a C5R if I had one.
Let me know if I can help.
Salam
Old 03-30-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Greg Fell
In my very humble opinion, there was a time when a C5R block may have been a much better option for big cubes. That was when nobody could sleeve motors very well. Now days, you can get a re-sleeved LS2 block that is a VERY stout piece. Personally, I'd sell the C5R block, get a 4.200 LS2 (441" with a 4" stroke), redo it, and 'make' money on the deal.
I agree with what you said. However, as I said I will be going with a blower, and Iam not aware of many Darton blocks that can hold boost very well.

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
The thing you'll have to watch if you go boost is the ring gapping and pistons on your C5R. That is if you plan a lot of boost.

You can slap on a set of 72 cc AFR to lower compression and run 10>14 psi all day with an intercooler. But more than that will require gas relief pistons and proper ring gapping.

As for the block, C5R is the mother of all racing chevy blocks. To bust that one is pretty hard, if it is tuned and cooled properly.

Also a proper boost cam will be necessary for DCR under boost.

I would never get rid of a C5R if I had one.
Let me know if I can help.
Salam
Will be running 10-14 psi like you said. I would prefer to keep my LS6 heads & go with dished pistons.

If I find a buyer for my 427 it'll go. Otherwise, a blown 427 doesn't sound too bad
Old 03-30-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The C5-R is a good block, but I wouldn't put it in the same catagory as a Darton MID sleeved block. I'd personally compare it with a LS2 dry sleeve, like stated above. The MID should be far superior in stregnth compared to the C5_R. I'd make my decision on the power level your looking to hit.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I think the C5R block is the strongest solution, not sure about the World Products block but I'm sure it's just as good, maybe better.

You can get a C5R block rewelded, and even have new sleeves pressed in.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
The C5-R is a good block, but I wouldn't put it in the same catagory as a Darton MID sleeved block. I'd personally compare it with a LS2 dry sleeve, like stated above. The MID should be far superior in stregnth compared to the C5_R. I'd make my decision on the power level your looking to hit.
I would have to agree with Beast96Z & Greg.
The C5R was the thing a few years back,
but has been surpassed by the wet sleeve Darton.
Their have been C5R failures as well.
The Warhawk block and heads look promissing.

Obviously proper cooling and tuning as key to everything and their has been evolution in that area.

In the end, it still comes down to the assembly and the gaskets as well.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't compare the C5R to the other blocks . For high boost it just isn't the right choice . The C5R is special and so expensive because of Quality not power handling . There have been examples of these blocks cracking sleeves and having problems dealing with high boost,never designed for that Someone from SDPC explained the process to build the block and using grey iron liners for an extreme hp block just doesn't work . Some people have goals three times what the block was designed for . An F1 block has QC to the extreme , try running nitromethane through it with a ton of boost . I think the Warhawk block will be the answer to those looking to push 2000 + . Haedcore puts a lot into making a C5R work for them .