Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crane rocker arm disassembly help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Crane rocker arm disassembly help

I have my old heads off the car and when I pulled the rockers, the studs came with them. The problem now is the jam nut and adjusting nuts are locked together. So far, I have broken four 3/16 allen wrenches and have tried jam nuts on the metric side of the stud, not luck at all. Since this will be an issue for future spring maintenance, I am seriously thinking of just returning the to stock rockers as much as I hate to.

Anyone run into this and know a sure fire solution?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a hold of Mark Cambell (sp? ) from Crane or call Vinci, they can help.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have tried everything, makes one wonder how to handle a spring swap later, it could end up being a huge job.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you lock 2 nuts together on the threads that go into the head? Then clamp that into a bench vise. Then use a long wrench/breaker bar to break the nut/set screw side loose. I dont want to say how I know!!!!!! But I had to do that for the first ones I put in, when I first put the studs in mine. I locked the nut/ set screw that they provide for installing the studs in the wrong way. Basically way over tightening it to where you couldn't break it loose.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tried that, didn't work. I will try again. I may order the collet to fit my Snap-On stud removal tool for the metric thread and try that. At least I know I am not alone
Old 04-02-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Tried that, didn't work. I will try again. I may order the collet to fit my Snap-On stud removal tool for the metric thread and try that. At least I know I am not alone
I'm diffenetly cheering for you! I only had 2 stuck though. Once I locked it in the vise I used a long closed-in wrench with the longest allen I had, maybe 6" long. I tried to hold the allen still while tightening the nut, then backing out the allen. Basicalling I was turning the nut one way and the allen the other till it finally broke free.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have broke or rounded all the Allen wrenches I have. I ordered the Snap-On stud remover for 8mm threads so that should hold the side that goes into the head. I can then hopefully just turn the adjusting nut and break it free. Someone suggested that you grind the bottom of the allen jam nut flat to prevent this problem.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just wanted to follow-up since I did get them apart. I bought a Snap-On stud remover for the 8mm-1.25 thread. This is a two piece tool that includes a collet (part # GC500-37) and housing (part # GC500-2). The collet threads onto the thread and then the housing is tightened onto the collet effectively clamping the threads without damage. They came right off once I had a way to hold the stud so I could simply loosen the adjusting nut.

Anyway, if you are using stud mounted rockers of any type or dealing with studs this is one of the best tools I have ever run across to remove studs.

Also, since the install is 22 lb-ft, I used the same tool (different collet, part # GC500-8) to re-install the studs into the Dart heads
Old 04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

good deal.