Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Priming the oil system B4 startup (new motor)

Old 04-02-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Priming the oil system B4 startup (new motor)

I just finished the install on a used shortblock that I purchased from F-body Motorsports in Charlotte, N.C.(15 March 2006).

I've been gone on my honeymoon so I didnt have time to complete the install before I left. Then when I got back this past week, I had problems with my flywheel being damaged so I had to wait until today to get another to replace mine temporarily.

I started the car tonight (2 April) and the oil pressure only went to 10 psi. I let it run for about 5 seconds and then shut it off.

I then disconnected the connector for the coil packs and turned the motor over for several turns to hopefully prime the system some more.

Started it up and only 10 psi !?!?!?!?!?!

Is there a better way to prime the system or should it have pumped up immediately?

I filled the oil filter before installation so that shouldn't have held it up from priming.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 04-02-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must have a plug missing somewhere or the oring is cut or missing. When I start a fresh ls1 I spin the motor over with the starter (sparkplugs out) and the engine builds to 30 psi with just the starter spinning it. This only takes a few seconds. There are a lot of plugs in ls1 block.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
You must have a plug missing somewhere or the oring is cut or missing. When I start a fresh ls1 I spin the motor over with the starter (sparkplugs out) and the engine builds to 30 psi with just the starter spinning it. This only takes a few seconds. There are a lot of plugs in ls1 block.

Any internally that would have been hidden in the block or not easily recognizable?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Hey Jeff, I posted up an idea on the local board.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blubird
Hey Jeff, I posted up an idea on the local board.

Thanks Damon! I haven't reached stress levels of this magnitude in a VERY long time. I just cannot buy a break.

Search this Thread