Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Swap Parts, Missing Anything?

Old 04-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Swap Parts, Missing Anything?

Heres my list of things to order within this week. Now I need to know if Im missing anything Important?
-TSP Cam
-Comp PRC Spring Kit w/ TSP Pushrods
-Rollmaster Double Roller Adj. Timing set
-TSP Ported Oil Pump
-New Cam Bolt, Misc. Gaskets.
I know there is a couple special tools I will need, but is there anything else I will really need for this?
Old 04-02-2006, 10:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

might want to think of rod bolts or injectors as preventative maintenance. and a new crank bolt unless u have the qtp timing chain cover.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

beer and patience
Old 04-02-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01SOMm6
Heres my list of things to order within this week. Now I need to know if Im missing anything Important?
-TSP Cam
-TSP Ported Oil Pump
I know there is a couple special tools I will need, but is there anything else I will really need for this?
I hope to be doing the same thing within the next couple months. Mine will be a heads/cam swap though. Here is the list I plan to get:

Heads/Cam
Lifters - going to go with the Comp 850 O.E. replacements due to mileage. Doesn't hurt to do it while you're in there
TSP Pushrods
Timing Chain - probably go LS2
Oil Pump - TSP LS6
Injectors - TSP has recommended 30#, so that's what I'll run
Bolts/Gaskets - TSP sells a good kit that includes everything. I'm sure they have one tailored towards cam swaps as well.

I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting here.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:10 AM
10 Second Club

-TSP Cam
-TSP Ported Oil Pump
You said new cam bolt, did you mean new crank bolt? Cam actually has 3 bolts holding the cam gear on.

Looks good, don't forget a new o-ring for the oil pick-up tube, all of the gaskets (probably already covered that in the Misc. Gaskets), and get all of the fluids you will need (Dexcool, Oil, Filters, etc)...
Old 04-03-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by marv
I hope to be doing the same thing within the next couple months. Mine will be a heads/cam swap though. Here is the list I plan to get:

Heads/Cam
Lifters - going to go with the Comp 850 O.E. replacements due to mileage. Doesn't hurt to do it while you're in there
TSP Pushrods
Timing Chain - probably go LS2
Oil Pump - TSP LS6
Injectors - TSP has recommended 30#, so that's what I'll run
Bolts/Gaskets - TSP sells a good kit that includes everything. I'm sure they have one tailored towards cam swaps as well.

I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting here.
Are you getting the stock replacement head gaskets? Are your heads milled at all? Head bolts or studs, don't forget new ones. Also all of the fluids, gaskets, gasket material (RTV), and misc. items (Anti-seize, lock tite, etc.).

Who is doing your tuning? Usually the key is let your tuner suggest the injector, but we are running SVO Red Top 30lb/hr injectors also; so no complaints there. Also a good time to do the maintenance stuff like plugs and wires. Sounds like you guys know where you want to take your cars! Have fun!
Old 04-03-2006, 05:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-TSP Cam
-TSP Ported Oil Pump
In MY honest opinion, think about pulling motor from the bottom instead of doing it in car. I think it makes it sooo much easier. I did my first cam install with the engine still in the car and it was a pain. Mostly the radiator was a pain getting in and out. If you drop the whole subframe it takes about two hours as opposed to two hours just working on the radiator with the engine in-car.

Just thought I would throw it out there............
Old 04-03-2006, 06:05 AM
Launching!

How long does it take it to drop the k-member though?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FunkyTownFBody
How long does it take it to drop the k-member though?
First time I did it, it took about three hours. Now it takes under an hour because I know where the connections are. Its pretty easy to do if you have a cherry picker. You actually dont have to lift the chassis that high off the k-member if you slide it sideways through the wheel well.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Azrael
Are you getting the stock replacement head gaskets? Are your heads milled at all? Head bolts or studs, don't forget new ones. Also all of the fluids, gaskets, gasket material (RTV), and misc. items (Anti-seize, lock tite, etc.).

Who is doing your tuning? Usually the key is let your tuner suggest the injector, but we are running SVO Red Top 30lb/hr injectors also; so no complaints there. Also a good time to do the maintenance stuff like plugs and wires. Sounds like you guys know where you want to take your cars! Have fun!
If I'm not mistaken, the TSP H/C install kit comes with stock head gaskets, which is what I'll be using. Heads might be milled just for clean up, but other than that they should be close to factory. Will be using ARP head studs, 12pt most likely. And good point on the misc. fluids, gaskets and gasket material.

I hope to have Gomer (Scott) here on the board tune it for me. He's a busy man though, so it might be hard to run him down and him have time to do it. I also plan to run 30#/hr, but haven't decided on a brand yet. SVO seems like good stuff though. New plugs and wires will be thrown in as well.

I'm ready to get this done! Thanks for the advice!!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99whitews6
In MY honest opinion, think about pulling motor from the bottom instead of doing it in car. I think it makes it sooo much easier. I did my first cam install with the engine still in the car and it was a pain. Mostly the radiator was a pain getting in and out. If you drop the whole subframe it takes about two hours as opposed to two hours just working on the radiator with the engine in-car.

Just thought I would throw it out there............
I disagree with you. It took me all of 5 minutes to get the radiator out. There's no way I would spend 2 hours taking the engine out of the car to do a cam swap. You are doubling your work.

Search this Thread