Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Lifters-What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replacing Lifters-What do I need?

I am going to be replacing my lifters when I do my cam swap and was wondering what else I need to do along with this.
I will be getting OEM replacement lifters. What place has the best price on these (PM me if non-sponsor link please). I will be getting the basic cam swap gasket package from Thunder Racing (http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=157) It is the one about halfway down the page.

If installing the lifters I have been told you have to pull the heads. I imagine I will need new head bolts and head gaskets. Which ones are the best bang for the buck? I'm not looking to spend a fortune here. Again,please shoot me a PM if it is non-sponsor. I am also going to be getting a ported oil pump, but I imagine I will just try to buy that used off of these boards. Will an LS6 oil pump work or do I need to get one ported? Thanks for the posts and please PM me with any good prices you all know of. Thanks again
Old 04-04-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

You do not need a ported oil pump. You will need new heads bolts and gaskets. You can get them from SpeedInc. or any other sponsors on the right. Please don't ask for people to pm you non-sponsor stuff. Why don'y you just get everything from thunderracing? They are a good shop with good prices. No need to shop around to save $5. I highly recomend getting head studs if you are going to be pulling the heads again in the future for whatever reason. It will save you a good bit of time next time so you don't have to clean out the bolt holes.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you feel about flycutting while the heads are off? Now would be a really good time to have your heads milled a bit. This will add compression since your DCR will be much lower with that cam. Unfortunately milling the heads without flycutting would put your valves into your pistons.

Id also use the GM 6.0L MLS gasket because its inexpensive and works well. If you want to spend more cash, you can spring for cometics and tighten up the quench and compression a bit more.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Well I won't be doing a head install if I do heads in the future, a shop will. The reason I was asking for PMs on non-sponsor links was so they wouldn't post it here and get my thread locked up. So this is what I'm looking at in addition to the Thunder Racing cam install package and TRex cam:

OEM Replacement Lifters- $219.99
Head and Camshaft Gaskets- $269.99
ARP Head Bolts- $147.49

Would I be able to use Comp R Lifters or another brand if I found them slightly used or would it be wiser just to go with new OEM replacements? Thanks for the replies guys, just trying to get it done right the first time!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Well I won't be doing a head install if I do heads in the future, a shop will. The reason I was asking for PMs on non-sponsor links was so they wouldn't post it here and get my thread locked up. So this is what I'm looking at in addition to the Thunder Racing cam install package and TRex cam:

OEM Replacement Lifters- $219.99
Head and Camshaft Gaskets- $269.99
ARP Head Bolts- $147.49

Would I be able to use Comp R Lifters or another brand if I found them slightly used or would it be wiser just to go with new OEM replacements? Thanks for the replies guys, just trying to get it done right the first time!
Comp R lifters require adjustable rockers.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

well for sure you do have to take off the head/or heads......and the lifters are in pairs in these lil tray things they are pretty easy to change but they retorqueing of the heads if what i've never done....
Old 04-04-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Is it absolutely necessary to change out the lifters when doing a cam swap? My car has 85,000 miles and several people have told me it is NOT necessary. I may be doing ported heads in the future, so could I just wait until then to do the lifter upgrade or is it necessary to change them out now since I will be installing a cam that will rev to 7k rpms?
Old 04-04-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you are doing ported heads in the future do not waste money on bolts and gaskets now. I had stock lifters in with two cams for over 100k miles and they looked fine when I took them out. Only reason is I had some ticking but it's still there so it wasn't the lifters. I wouldn't spend the money for ARP bolts either. Either stock bolts or get ARP studs IMO.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Same car

I pretty much got the same car you do, 01 z28 52k mi.

I have a few questions, do you notice a lifter noise at idle and above 5k rpm when gettin on it? I just got my car and i notice that, its not like horrible sounding or anything. But i want to fix that asap.

Are you doin the cam and heads them selves, or are you strictly doing a lifter replacement, as in is that all your gonna do when you open your hood that day. If so, then that's exactly what i have to do here in a few weeks for my ride. Let me know how that goes down cause I will inevitably refer to this thread.

How much do you guys think it will cost me to do that, and is it a pain in the ***? Should i just pay a shop to do this? Thanks, Peace.

-RobLo
Old 04-04-2006, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Is it absolutely necessary to change out the lifters when doing a cam swap? My car has 85,000 miles and several people have told me it is NOT necessary. I may be doing ported heads in the future, so could I just wait until then to do the lifter upgrade or is it necessary to change them out now since I will be installing a cam that will rev to 7k rpms?
No....it is not necessary to change out the lifters.

Don't rev the car to 7,000 RPM your rod bolts will give up.

Don
Old 04-04-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blown 98 Z
Don't rev the car to 7,000 RPM your rod bolts will give up.
Don
I would be careful going over 6500 on a 98. Just MHO.