Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Doctor specs

Old 04-07-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cam Doctor specs

I bought a used Comp Cam with no card and had Thunder Dr it. Installed it and checking it with a degree wheel and a dial indicator. I had the heads off to flycut the pistons (thanks Guitsboy) and went ahead and got my TDC marked while the head was off. The cam has 4* of advance built in and all my checks I get at .050 after intial lift starts and .050 before the valve closes fully are 4* (advanced) off from the Cam Dr specs. I have the cam installed straight up dot to dot. Does the Cam Dr specs show the built in advance on the .050 settings or does it not show up until it's mounted with the crank?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HavATampa
I bought a used Comp Cam with no card and had Thunder Dr it. Installed it and checking it with a degree wheel and a dial indicator. I had the heads off to flycut the pistons (thanks Guitsboy) and went ahead and got my TDC marked while the head was off. The cam has 4* of advance built in and all my checks I get at .050 after intial lift starts and .050 before the valve closes fully are 4* (advanced) off from the Cam Dr specs. I have the cam installed straight up dot to dot. Does the Cam Dr specs show the built in advance on the .050 settings or does it not show up until it's mounted with the crank?

Unless we know the amount of advance ground into the cam, we set it at zero. The Cam Pro Plus (cam measuring device) has no way to know or measure advance unless we manually enter it. It is very good for giving lift, duration, and LSA numbers, but advance and retard are assumed.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

So can I assume that my measurements are accurate and that's why I am seeing 4* difference in the numbers? I never told you guys the specs of the cam, so I'm not blaming you. I'm ready to bolt this thing up but want to make sure what I seeing is what I am supposed to see.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Throw a dog a bone?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HavATampa
So can I assume that my measurements are accurate and that's why I am seeing 4* difference in the numbers? I never told you guys the specs of the cam, so I'm not blaming you. I'm ready to bolt this thing up but want to make sure what I seeing is what I am supposed to see.
Yes, that is what I am trying to explain. What you are measuring is probably right including than the 4 degree offset. The difference of 4 degrees is on our end not yours.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

That's what I was hoping to hear! I'll be by later today to pick up a set of pushrods. Thanks Geoff!

Search this Thread