Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is New Cam Suppose To Be Hollow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is New F14 Cam Suppose To Be Hollow?

I know that the stock LS1 cam is hollow but is my new F14 suppose to be? Because its not. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. I just want to be sure before I install it. Thanks

Last edited by JoeMack; 04-08-2006 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird, I thought all LS1 cams were hollow. The 2 Comp Cams and one TSP that I've purchased were all hollow.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

the one i had installed in my car was hollow.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

After the cam lobes are properly placed on the camshaft, a ball is drawn through the center of the camshaft to expand the metal, locking the lobes in place.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:33 AM
TECH Regular

TTT for some help please.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

you could contact futural
Old 04-08-2006, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

It might not be totally hollow but damn near close. My comp cam was that way. It had holes drilled in it both ends, but could not look through it. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

LS1 cam's are all gun drilled. That's one of the reason's they are expensive.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need more input.

is it completely solid or is it just gun drilled from both ends but dosnt meet? The cam shouldnt need to be hollow for venting or oil, it is only for rotational weight savings.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

There are holes drilled into either end approximately 5/8" deep. It's hard enough to get a hold of Futral during the week. It ain't happening on the weekend. Trying to get it installed over the weekend. I just don't know what to do
Old 04-08-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just install the damn thing. If it's the new core, the diameter between the lobes looked to be a bit thinner than i remember, so maybe they took the weight out of the outside rather than the inside of the cam. IMHO, Install and enjoy!
Old 04-08-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

That's the kick in the *** I needed. Now it'll be on your head if it ain't right
Old 04-08-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JoeMack
That's the kick in the *** I needed. Now it'll be on your head if it ain't right
If your motor blows up cause your cam wasnt hollow, ill paypal you money for a beer to cry in.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Deal
Old 04-08-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JoeMack
I know that the stock LS1 cam is hollow but is my new F14 suppose to be? Because its not. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. I just want to be sure before I install it. Thanks

There are LS1 cam cores available in the aftermarket that aren't gun drilled. The main reason for this is that it costs quite a bit less for a non gun drilled cam. We won't sell them that way because I feel the extra rotational mass of a non gun drilled cam could be detrimental to the longevity of the valvetrain. GM didn't just drill them to be pretty. If there wasn't an advantage in drilling them you can be sure GM would have saved that money to give to their share holders.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Geoff
There are LS1 cam cores available in the aftermarket that aren't gun drilled. The main reason for this is that it costs quite a bit less for a non gun drilled cam. We won't sell them that way because I feel the extra rotational mass of a non gun drilled cam could be detrimental to the longevity of the valvetrain. GM didn't just drill them to be pretty. If there wasn't an advantage in drilling them you can be sure GM would have saved that money to give to their share holders.
This is a valid point, but at the same time, taking weight out of the center of a cam does the least good. Rotational weight closes to the outside is the hardest to accelerate. Comparitively, weight onthe inside is much more easily accelerated. If you had a core produced that took the material out of the outer diameter of the cam, while retaining the same torsional rigidity, youd actually come out ahead. Aftermarket cams already remove a bunch of outer rotating weight just by having a smaller base circle. Removing a little more material from in between lobes and journals, and you could easily get a cam thats as easily accelerated as a stock cam. Aftermarket gun drilled cams may have enev less rotational weight, but if you can get to stock cam levels without gundrilling, its good enough for me. I dont see any tangible advantage at that point.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

My old F13 cam was gun drilled whereas the new core I received on thursday is not. I spoke to allan about this a few weeks back and he said they are getting away from gun drilling because it costs more, as Geoff said above.

BTW, since I installed the new core, I dont have the "whistle" or "blower whine" anymore.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

GM probably did it to save .30$ on metal

My TR224 was drilled as well.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:17 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Makes it easier to make a lamp out of the stock cam as well...
Old 04-10-2006, 12:19 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
This is a valid point, but at the same time, taking weight out of the center of a cam does the least good. Rotational weight closes to the outside is the hardest to accelerate. Comparitively, weight onthe inside is much more easily accelerated. If you had a core produced that took the material out of the outer diameter of the cam, while retaining the same torsional rigidity, youd actually come out ahead. Aftermarket cams already remove a bunch of outer rotating weight just by having a smaller base circle. Removing a little more material from in between lobes and journals, and you could easily get a cam thats as easily accelerated as a stock cam. Aftermarket gun drilled cams may have enev less rotational weight, but if you can get to stock cam levels without gundrilling, its good enough for me. I dont see any tangible advantage at that point.
I believe that you hit that on the head Bill Nye!

Quick Reply: Is New Cam Suppose To Be Hollow?