Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know if my PCV system is working properly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I know if my PCV system is working properly?

I have a 99 LS1 and when I did my h/c I changed to the LS6 valley cover and ran the pcv according to LS1HowTo.com and also through an AMW catch can. I can hear the little ball rattling inside the valve and I am catching oil in the can, which is up front in front of the radiator. However, I did some work recently on my intake manifold and although the front of the throttle blade was clean, the inside of the intake had a lot oil pooling in it on the bottom and my intake runners had a thin layer of oil in them. The car doesn't burn oil, just a quick puff of blue when you gun it. I'm assuming it's from all the oil in the intake and runners, because it didn't do it after I replaced the intake, all cleaned up of course, and cleaned the intake runners. I know it's probably going to come back unless I can figure out what's happening.
How do I verify the pcv mess is working properly?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Try putting a filter in the pcv line, and run it that way for awhile, then check for oil in the intake again. I have a stainless kitchen scrubber type filter permanently installed in mine (no "catch can", which I've tried before and didn't do much except catch water).
Old 04-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get rid of all your pcv together and just go with a breather