Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worrying about nothing? - CR, heat and crap fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worrying about nothing? - CR, heat and crap fuel.

Hi, I'm looking to fit an LS6 or LS2 into my off-roader (stay with me here) for use in the African desert.

I was thinking of reducing the compression ratio to avoid detonation as the fuel available will probably be low octane. I realise the knock sensors will pull the timing to compensate, but I have no idea if the stock system can cope with crap fuel, high ambient temperatures and (especially) the LS2's CR of 10.9 to 1?

Can anyone tell me if I'm concerned about nothing? Am I guaranteed to be safe as long as the engine is reasonably cooled?

Any help appreciated, Al.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the engine itself will compensate for knock and can run on low grade fuel.. by lowgrade i mean the min that is availible in the US.. i couldnt tell you about less then that..
if you run leaded gas, it will run fine until the O2s die.. you'll need unleaded fuel still..

as for it staying cool, thats all a function of your cars cooling capabilitys... as long as they're suffecent for the motor, you shouldnt be overheating anyway. if its for the desert, id probly go a little overkill on the cooling system. jsut for the safety.