Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump O-ring: How to know when it's pinched?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump O-ring: How to know when it's pinched?

exactly as the title says, is there a way to be pretty sure you're not pinching the o-ring as you're inserting the pickup tube into the pump? I'm getting ready to put all the covers back on my engine and I was just curious if there was a definitive way to know whether or not I've screwed up the install. I've heard too many stories of people putting them on wrong. I don't know if I can tolerate having another night absorbed by screwing with this pump if indeed it is messed up after I sew the engine up....
Old 04-11-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's what I did. I lubed it with Redline assembly lube and then practiced several times with the old o-ring to get the feel of it going in correctly. You need to be centered in the hole and it will slide right in. If you are off center or have to force it much you missed. Once I felt comfortable with it, I put on the new one and went for it.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:25 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Here's what I did. I lubed it with Redline assembly lube and then practiced several times with the old o-ring to get the feel of it going in correctly. You need to be centered in the hole and it will slide right in. If you are off center or have to force it much you missed. Once I felt comfortable with it, I put on the new one and went for it.
And thennnnnnnn?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Launching!

yeah i got the damn thing in (not the easiest thing to do in the world, but wasn't bad) but it was the last thing I did last night before I came in the house for the night, and I left the covers off of everything....

I'm just so damn paranoid of getting everything on again and then having to rip it off I just want to be sure before I put the timing cover on, water pump, etc, etc....

It didn't seem like there was any force required once the damn thing lined up right; the tube (with the o-ring as far on the tube as it would naturally slide) popped right into the pump, although it may have been slightly off center for a little bit before it was perfectly lined up. I guess I should just fire the thing up and see.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
And thennnnnnnn?
found out he pinched the o-ring?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:36 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Old 04-12-2006, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No, actually 50 psi within four seconds of starting
Old 04-12-2006, 05:35 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Awesome. you left us hangin' man!
Old 04-12-2006, 06:11 AM
Teching In

what I did was once I installed the pump on the pick up line. I took the four bolts that hold it to the block and installed those. Then I took the cover off the front of the oil pump and looked where the pick up line connects to the pump. The first time I had pinched the O-ring. It was very easy to see. The second time I put it o,n it was fine. It was a quick check that saved me the hassle of tearing the entire motor back down to this point.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

mine went on easily but im paranoid...still i just installed oil pan back on...took cover to pump off and one side looks like it has a little more gap than the other side...but i cant tell if it is pinched though...but like i said i manually straightened tube and put in the tube and put bolt in (first try i might add) and slowly put it in with thread locker on it and wiggled the tube around as i put it in to try and get it to SEAT....should i just try and fire the bitch up?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:51 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

1. most common problem is people bolting the pump to the block first, install the p/u tube into pump while it's still loose

2. Need to verify the oring is installed correctly? just pull off the front steel plate on the oil pump, done deal
Old 03-10-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

do i need to back the bolt out a little to notice because i have the front off and the two gears out but i still cant tell....it fell really good going in.....same with threading in the bolt...just wondering if i have to back bolt out a little to notice it, lol just bolted on oil pan also on the oil pump gears thje outer gear has a DOT on it....that faces outward right? (towards the front of car) or does it not matter...

Quick Reply: Oil Pump O-ring: How to know when it's pinched?