Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I need a new cam bearing... Opinions??

Old 04-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I need a new cam bearing... Opinions??

Ok so I pulled a stunt I read about someone else pulling. Didn't have the condensor far enough out of the way towards the end of pulling out the old cam. Sharp section at the end gouged the #1 cam bearing. The edges on the outermost part are a little rough and there is one light scratch on the bearing itself. Some metal shavings. The biggest deepest scratch is actually on the flat part of the block where the cam retainer plate sits. None of the interior scrapes are as deep as that. I can barely feel the inner one. I took some pics. Here's my problem, I don't have the money,tools, or space to pull the whole motor. I read that people have replaced it in car but no one said how? So please look at my pics and tell me if you think it's ok and if not, HTF do I do this?? This car is NOT a daily driver. Only for racing and shows now.

I'm by the cam install
Attached Thumbnails I think I need a new cam bearing... Opinions??-small-zoom-3.jpg   I think I need a new cam bearing... Opinions??-smaller-zoom1.jpg   I think I need a new cam bearing... Opinions??-s.jpg  

Last edited by 30birdy; 04-11-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Restricted User

Been there done that... Swap it out or your oil pressure will be low. I didn't replace it and it cost me a motor. You should be able to get away with just replacing the first one.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Darn,, I figured as much.. I'm just in denial...

So any suggestions on how to do this in car? Time I got.. space to pull the whole engine.. I don't.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I would get/make something that is kind of shaped like a hook that would reach around behind the bearing, then extend out far enough and have an area on the end of the rod or whatever you make where you could tap it with a hammer.

In turn forcing the bearing out toward you.

Just an idea...I dont know if it is safe or feasable...I have only done these things on an engine stand with different methods than what you can use.

maybe someone else can help, I wouldnt try this until someone else more experienced replies, but I think my idea might work
Old 04-12-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

t.t.t. for ya, im curious to see if anyone else has done this.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It would be a PITA but I don't see way it could not be done in the car. Need to find a machine shop willing to lend or rent out a cam bearing installer. To may need to pull the bumper and reinforcment bar for access.
Good luck
Old 04-12-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

just guessing here, but you could get a piece of 1/8 strap steel, and cut it to just fit the bearings out side diameter, then drill a hole in it most likely a 1/4 should do it. weld the bolt to the plate through the hole. you may want to put an additional hole in the plate slightly above it, you could put a piece of romex through this which would allow you to position the plate once it is passed the bearing on the inside of the motor. I would think it would have to be 12 guage wire. from there thread the welded stud to a slide hammer. In fact you could make 2 identical plates and leave the stud out of the one, this way you could sandwich the new bearing in between two plates, and they would get tighened by the slide hammer, this way you could reinstall the bearing.

I am attaching a drawing of what I am talking about my drawing sucks so , also I would trace the outer edge of your new cam bearing to make the edges for the strap steel.

The pic is also in my sig under zz ls1tech other. Cam bearing tool. I would just view it that way, they you can print it if you want.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good idea but the chances of it working are not very good. He realy just needs the correct tool for the job. I make tools all the time but I never would try to make something to install a press fit cam bearing unless it was precisly done on a lathe or mill. Too much room for error and the cost of a mistake = a new motor.
just my .02
Old 04-12-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, but he wanted a cheap solution, I gave him one, no substitute for a maching shop or good tools and experence.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't really see the bearing that clearly. From what you describe, I wouldn't install a $200.00-$300.00 cam with the bearing in that bad of a condition.

I wish your pics were a little clearer. Sorry...49 year-old eyes and Dollar Store "cheaters". Can you see any copper showing around the I.D. of the cam bearing? If you see very much at all, I would be seriously questioning the condition of the other 4 cam bearings.

Some guys know about the problem, and other's have not heard, but the LS1/LS6 has oiling problems. Premature bearing failure due to oil starvation is not a rare problem. In your case, because you cannot drop the engine, I can't think of any other way to check the other 4 cam bearings. If there is very little, or no copper showing on the front one, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Good luck restoring that front bearing...I hope you're able to get 'er goin' again without any major problems.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:35 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Trista....Was this Joel's fault?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Teching In

LMAO! No not really Joel's fault this time. Just kinda a crap thing that happens I don't think the other cam bearings are damaged b/c the cam was supported all the way till the end when it hit the condensor. The problem came when the cam slipped at an angle and the very end was on the bearing so the sharp edge gouged it. It came out smoothly until that point.

I'm not necessarily looking for a "cheap" solution. It's just that short of rolling the car out of the garage onto a tow truck and taking it to a shop, I have no way to pull the engine in my garage

There is no copper showing and actually talked to a guy @ LME (sponsor) about it and they gave me a few ideas. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

BTW.. I'm not a he.. I'm a she
Old 04-13-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 30birdy
BTW.. I'm not a he.. I'm a she
leg humping begins in 5...4...3..2

Guys like girls that can handle a shaft.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:52 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hahaha!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gearheads78
leg humping begins in 5...4...3..2

LMAO! And someone took a picture of me covered in grease with both hands wrapped firmly around the cam shaft too! And for some reason the girls at work just don't understand why I'm proud of the grease under my fingernails
Old 04-14-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

It looks like she couldn't handle the shaft and damaged at least one bearing when it came out crooked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think I need a new cam bearing... Opinions??