Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C package whats else is needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H/C package whats else is needed?

Say you get a heads and cam package. Be is Dart or CNC ls6 heads, or whatever.. what else should be done to make the car safe?

NEw pil pump? timing chain, the cam package would cover springs etc.. Should you get new rockers or lifters? New water pump?

What did you guys do?

Just want to make sure I dont leave somethign silly out.

We have a nic cam guide, with all the various cams out there it is still very helpful. Would it be possible for a heads guide? Or is that in the process?

Thanks much. trying to learn a little as I go along

Thinking of a head to go along with my TSP 228R .588/.588 @ 112 cam and looking towards the patriot cnc 243 heads, dart 205, or prc cnc heads.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you get new heads you wont need new springs. If you do get the heads get dual springs. The oil pump is good insurance for every thing. Timeing chain get a ls2 or you can get a double roller. If you have verry low miles the stock lifter will be fine if not comp makes a good oem replacement for about $200. I had 29k on my stock engine when I built my forged moter and I bought new lifters, not worth looseing a moter over a $200 item. Get a cam swap gasket kit and new head gaskets. Also if you have the $$ get some arp head studs they are reuseable and if you ever have to remove the heads again the holes in the block won't fill with coolant. Water pump: if the one you have now is working dont fix something that isn't broke. You'll also need hardened push rods.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't forget the pushrods. OEM pushrods will not tolerate any significant power gains. You're going to be running fairly healthy lift with the cam you listed, so make sure you size the new pushrods correctly, and, just to be safe, check piston to valve clearance.

Actually, GM's OEM rockers are pretty damn good, as are their lifters. But, if your installing a new cam and pushrods, why put used parts (lifters) between them, unless, as stated above, you have a low mileage engine.

I went with a new set of Comp lifters for my forged stroker set-up, but that's only because I had block that wasn't de-burred during the manufacturing process, and my entire OEM rotating assembly was contaminated with aluminum chips. After throwing 7 large into the engine, clutch, and billet steel flywheel, I wasn't about to take a chance by re-using the OEM lifters. The $200.00 was worth it, just for the peace of mind.

Good luck with your mods....hope she runs like a rocket sled when you're done.....
Old 04-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Banned

how about instead of modding your car, how about paying someone who you wrecked into? hit and run of fellow members isnt something to be proud of especially being a socalled adult
Old 04-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quik
how about instead of modding your car, how about paying someone who you wrecked into? hit and run of fellow members isnt something to be proud of especially being a socalled adult
wuh?
Old 04-14-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ruh roh
Old 04-14-2006, 05:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey tuck its me, Justin (used to be 95greenZ from pittspeed and this board) rember that time i met up with you and steve(bics) at ur frat house in pittsburgh, then went to my gfs work, got some food, and the u were to follow me ot my buddys garage, and he was going to do some work for you?

then remeber what happened on 28? you clipped into my driver quarter panel, and almost made me total my car, thank god i brought in undercontrol. And you swore up and down, promised me that if it didnt go on insurance that you would pay for it personally!! my car needed some seroius work, but a fellow pittspeeder was going to do if for 750 bucks, and u said u would pay for it. after that, u stopped reply to my PM's on Pittspeed, and my emails, why is this? pay up buddy! now that i found ya
Old 04-14-2006, 05:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

and the drama begins

Old 04-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Banned

dont help this dental guy, hes a tool and should be known that he doesnt man up to his word. i seen the damage to the car and it was messed up. the dude led him on for awhile and then just dispeared. just know this guy is a tool,

remember this tuck you can run you can hide but sooner or later you will be found!!!!!!

to let some know this dude is about 30yrs of age. still relys on parents to pay his debt and still in college. still trys to act like hes 20yrs of age. get real dude and be a man and pay up!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did i scare you away again?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts