Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need anything else with my package??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need anything else with my package??

I just ordered my cam package came with 228r cam 228/228 .588/.588, Comp Cams 918 Springs, and Hardened Chromoly Pushrods. My question is do i need to buy retainers and/or anything else.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

You have the neccessaties, you could get ti retainers, with that cam you dont have to have them, but I chose to get them and I have a similar grind. You dont need them but if youre there replacing the springs you might as well do it right. You really should have a full exhaust or your cam is not going to get anywhere near its potential. ie longtubes, ory, or high flow catted. An ls6 intake and ported throttle body will also be welcome additions and an underdrive pulley, last but not least you should get a tune to make all the power you can. I dont want to come off like a jerk but your doing it backwards, you should have all your bolt ons then do the cam.

Only other thing is how many miles on the car? Some people replace the timing chain and oil pump on the earlier years depending on mileage.
Hope this helps, and if I missed anything Im sure someone will chime in.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

headers will definately help... you're car has got to be able to breathe!

other than that get yourself an LS2 timing chain and a ported oil pump and you'll be set.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Doh, I forgot about gaskets, They sell complete gasket sets for cam swaps, check one of the sponsers, Tsp, Thunder

I saw in another thread you have Qtps, on the way, so youll be able to breathe after all

What else do you have planned?
Old 04-15-2006, 02:35 AM
12 Second Club

i was just wondering of anything else like the tit retainers thats all. i ordered everything, QTP headers and catted y, LS6 intake manifold, LS6 heads comp cnc valve job, that cam package, ls6 ported oil pump, d/r timing chain, sending my tb out to get p/p and all bolts and gaskets needed. I was just wondering while i was at it if i needed to get the tit-retainers. I will be getting everything in soon i will be sure to post numbers, and ofcourse ill be gettting it tuned.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of spare keepers are always good to have around. They're cheap insurance in case you drop one which is easy to do. Have a magnet handy and put some shop rags on the heads while you swapping the springs just in case one of the locks gets frisky.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1slowls1
i was just wondering of anything else like the tit retainers thats all. i ordered everything, QTP headers and catted y, LS6 intake manifold, LS6 heads comp cnc valve job, that cam package, ls6 ported oil pump, d/r timing chain, sending my tb out to get p/p and all bolts and gaskets needed. I was just wondering while i was at it if i needed to get the tit-retainers. I will be getting everything in soon i will be sure to post numbers, and ofcourse ill be gettting it tuned.
Sweet, if youre doing all that then yes I would definatley get the Ti retainers, your doing the same thing I did. All I wanted was Qtp's and a catted y, then I started hearing some cammed cars and ended up buying all the bolts ons, cam, stall, etc. Not what I was planning on but I cant wait to get it all installed, Im sure youre just as excited, Good luck with the build let us know how you make out

Oh yeah, I know thunder has Ti retainers for much cheaper than the comps, They are on backorder at the moment so you may want to call them and see how long