Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any bad F14's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any bad F14's out there?

i know the F13's have had some bad batches. but have there been any bad 14's? i actually bought my cam around the time that the F13's are being called back for. but the car is my daily Driver and i dont want to tear her apart if i aint got too..i tried calling Futral but with there new hours its hard to get ahold of them...no biggie though i always have LS1Tech!! anyhow, if you have a F14 and have seen or had your cam degrade post up....thanks

Jon
Old 04-14-2006, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

mine is still going strong but i just got it in jan or feb. so its not exactly from the same time though
Old 04-14-2006, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you REALLY don't wanna pull the cam you can pull your intake and valley cover. You can see the first two or three lifters and lobes with a flashlight. if those look good i wouldn't worry about it.
This should take a couple hours even for a first timer.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Mine went bad at about 10,000 miles. It had the same fine tooling marks as the F13 cams other people posted, and showed similar lifter damage.

Kevin
Old 04-15-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
If you REALLY don't wanna pull the cam you can pull your intake and valley cover. You can see the first two or three lifters and lobes with a flashlight. if those look good i wouldn't worry about it.
This should take a couple hours even for a first timer.
thanks for the help..ill do that...well i guess i have a project for the weekend...****...guess ill get started...ill let you guys know what i come up with...

Jon
Old 04-15-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to Dave at FMS today. He said that all of the bad cams have been F13s (so far). No F14s have had a problem.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:52 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssheets
I talked to Dave at FMS today. He said that all of the bad cams have been F13s (so far). No F14s have had a problem.
w00t. I have the F14 and mine makes alot of noise. I got the cam in at the end of November and installed it mid December, it's got about 6.5k on it. My car does have 117.5k on it total though. I'm waiting to pull my intake and valley cover untill my NW 90 gets here, but damn it's noisy.

Hate to hijack, but I'm running 10w-30 non-synthetic. Could I switch to 10w-40 or 20w-50 to help cut down on noise?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont know if changing from non synthetic- synthetic will quiet it down....what kinda noise does it make? just curious b/c mine makes some noise too...alil more then valve train noise...

Jon
Old 04-22-2006, 12:20 PM
That's what she said...

I won't be switching to synthetic, I'll just be getting a little thicker oil than I'm running before. It's getting pretty hot around here and I might just switch anyway.

It makes just a crap load of chattery just wierd noise. If i stick my head down beside and sorta under the car on the driver or passenger side (like where the collectors are), it is the loudest. Sometimes it does it more than other times. The sound coming from the headers makes me think it's the valves just the valves shutting lol. Everyone says LS1's start making more noise when you put headers on, but I'm at a loss with mine.

Last edited by TheBlurLS1; 04-22-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I won't be switching to synthetic, I'll just be getting a little thicker oil than I'm running before. It's getting pretty hot around here and I might just switch anyway.

It makes just a crap load of chattery just wierd noise. If i stick my head down beside and sorta under the car on the driver or passenger side (like where the collectors are), it is the loudest. Sometimes it does it more than other times. The sound coming from the headers makes me think it's the valves just the valves shutting lol. Everyone says LS1's start making more noise when you put headers on, but I'm at a loss with mine.

that is exactly what mine does...sometimes its more audiable then other times, but i can always hear it...i thought about the vavletrain and valves myself, but who knows...im going to change my header gaskets and bolts, then put on some katech rod bolts and see what happens...just curious, how high do you spin your motor when your racing, or just gettin on it..

Jon
Old 04-25-2006, 01:32 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by SilverStreak1830
that is exactly what mine does...sometimes its more audiable then other times, but i can always hear it...i thought about the vavletrain and valves myself, but who knows...im going to change my header gaskets and bolts, then put on some katech rod bolts and see what happens...just curious, how high do you spin your motor when your racing, or just gettin on it..

Jon
I try to shift at about 6500 or so, my shift light is set at 6400. The 10w-40 I put in on saturday seemed to help a bit, but I also tightened up my band clamps at the same time, so I dunno (me = dumbass). The "reduction in noise" is probably in my head.

One thing for sure is that if it's behaving itself and being nice and semi quiet, then I do a little 1-2-3-4 rhomp, it definatly gets louder.

What timing chain/sprockets are you running? I'm using the LS2 chain and stock sprockets. I read today that the LS1 sprockets have been known to "loosen up" the LS2 chains.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I try to shift at about 6500 or so, my shift light is set at 6400. The 10w-40 I put in on saturday seemed to help a bit, but I also tightened up my band clamps at the same time, so I dunno (me = dumbass). The "reduction in noise" is probably in my head.

One thing for sure is that if it's behaving itself and being nice and semi quiet, then I do a little 1-2-3-4 rhomp, it definatly gets louder.

What timing chain/sprockets are you running? I'm using the LS2 chain and stock sprockets. I read today that the LS1 sprockets have been known to "loosen up" the LS2 chains.
i have a rollmaster single roller timing chain and sprocket. i havent done anything to mine yet...ill have to wait till i get back off deployment before i can mess with it...
Old 04-25-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

I have the F14 112lsa in my TA and i've been hearing similar noises over the past few months but the car still runs fine once its warmed up. I've got about 4k miles on the F14 and mine shifts at about 6400. I've had the cam in about 1 year and have a single roller timing chain and katech rodbolts as well. When a cam degrades what are the first signs to look for to let you know you need to check???
Old 04-25-2006, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked_Hugger99
When a cam degrades what are the first signs to look for to let you know you need to check???
NONE. The guy who's cam i swapped out, his car was running perfect and had no noise. he just wanted to change it out cause he had bought it around the time that all the other ones had messed up.
pulled it out and it looked like this.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/488622-f13-carnage-pics.html
Old 04-25-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

NONE. The guy who's cam i swapped out, his car was running perfect and had no noise. he just wanted to change it out cause he had bought it around the time that all the other ones had messed up.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488622
The title of your thread you linked to is "F13 Carnage" the question was "Are there any bad F14s out there?"
I'm not bagging on you, but the question is specific to F14s. We know about the bad F13 run. I talked to Futral and to date, they haven't had any problems with F14s.

Do you have any information about F14s failing? If so, we (and I'm sure Alan) would like to know about it, otherwise be clear on your answer.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssheets
The title of your thread you linked to is "F13 Carnage" the question was "Are there any bad F14s out there?"
I'm not bagging on you, but the question is specific to F14s. We know about the bad F13 run. I talked to Futral and to date, they haven't had any problems with F14s.

Do you have any information about F14s failing? If so, we (and I'm sure Alan) would like to know about it, otherwise be clear on your answer.
If you'll notice i quoted just one sentence from the previous guys post. I was answering that one question. And if you click on the link its pretty obvious that it was an F13.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you'll notice i quoted just one sentence from the previous guys post. I was answering that one question. And if you click on the link its pretty obvious that it was an F13.
You have to follow the link and read it to find out you're not talking about F14s. The difference between implicit and explicit.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

i got a f4 from the group purchase last year and it has the fine tooling marks on it.i havent installed the cam yet and after seeing all the stuff on here im afraid to.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:21 AM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488622
SUX2BU, so your saying i may be showing no signs at all and still have a cam in there thats chewing up lifters and what not right?? i guess i should pull the intake and valley cover and check out the first 2 or 3 lifters and lobes just to be on the safe side cuz ya never know.
SSheets, even though this post is mainly asking about f14s the generally topic is still focused towards bad cams right??? SUX2BU's response to my question was helpful and got me Im not knockin you or anything, just my point of view for what its worth.