Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOT rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT rattle?

around 4500 to 5500RPM in any gear, my engine more or less valvetrain, sounds like it is rattling apart. it definitly sounds like valvetrain because it is not a very quick quick noise, like low end at 5500rpm would sound like, it makes me think of a pushrod but wouldnt pushrods do it all the time not just at wot at high rpms. Springs, lifters, cam bearings? I have read a few previous posts about this situation all I hear is ping, or knock? they recommend better fuel, I have run nothing but 91, and good octane booster(rarely) and it doesnt seem to go away so I was wondering if anybody has had any issues in this area before, I am going to change my pushrods, soon probably, if not just inspect them. what else should I look at? besides fod, or debris. I eliminated my AIR sytstem, so I know it is not a valve tapping. If anyone could help it would be nice, the racetrack just opened this weekend and I am deathly afraid of taking my car past 5000rpm so I need some people to toss me their two cents, if you wouldnt mind.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your heat shields...
Old 04-17-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have carbon deposits or the wrong heat range plugs, raising the octane wont help. I had a v6 with 9.5 compression that would still ping on 93 octane. Ping sounded like the metal airfilter clips were rattling around. Or loose change dropping in a coffee can.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so now wonders in valvetrain? It sounds like an actual mechanical part in my valvetrain, anyone on stock motors have this issue? I have tried new gas, octane boost, plugs, you cant possibly think its still a ping, right? I used a stethoscope the other day on my valvetrain and everywhere sounded about the same. anywhere especially to check, will checking at idle with a stethoscope tell me my problem or should I have to rev it up, also I was thinking on running some cleaner through it, at least lucas oil stabilizer, but maybe sea foam? anyone have any suggestions with that? thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the valvecovers and poke around if youd like. Wont take you more than an hour or so. Remember to leave the wires attached to the plugs and pull the coil pack bracket off rather than each of the 4 coild individually. Could also check your pushrods while youre in there