Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head gasket questions

I'm bolting up a set of 862 heads (5.3) on an LS1 motor. I'll need to measure PtoV first, but I'm hoping to run a .040" or .043" head gasket.
The only speed shop near me is Summit Racing (I know, could be worse) They carry:

Fel-Pro Felpro gasket .041

SCE Titan SCE Titan .043

Mr. Gasket Mr Gasket .040

Flat Out Gaskets Flat Out Gasket

These four look like Summit's LS1 offering. ANy thoughts on which one is better? I'm looking at 11.3:1SCR and 8.5:1DCR

Also, what is the best gasket bore for a stock LS1 3.898" bore.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to have a piston to head clearance of .040 that is a rough estimate based on what rod and piston manufactures recommend. If you have stock pistons you just want to run a stock GM gasket or a .050 Cometic gasket or something like that. If you have different slugs you gotta check it. My motor has the pistons about .011 out of the hole so I have to run a thicker gasket.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

people are running a quench as low as .030 on these motors with a stock bottom end.

Many people are also using the cometic .040 head gaskets...which will put the quench to about .033...depeding on your out of the hole measurement.Could be slighlty less or slightly more.

So you are saying I shouldnt be running the cometic .040?

My static compression will be 11.04 and my dynamic is 8.66.

A lot of other people are using very similar set ups with great success, on stock bottom ends.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT,
the question is about gasket quality from the selections I listed. They are the ones available from Summit which is a one hour driving distance. I've heard nothing but great things about Cometic except for their lead times. It can take weeks to get a set once ordered.

As for Quench, that thread has been posted and debated for weeks on end and the consensus (Pat Kelly DCR write up) is that ~.030-.045 is an optimum quench target with the lower end being better for detonation resistance and throttle response especially in the thin air where I live.

PtoV is also a seperate discussion which will have to be measured before I can determine how thick/thin of a gasket I can use while still keeping a safe clearence.

OK, does anybody know anything about the gaskets I linked to above?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

well a couple of the gaskets that you listed have a 4.130 bore...which is too big.

3.905, 3.910 and 4.00.....anywhere in between...not sure if anyone runs a gasket larger than that on a stock bore

The titans are a good gasket...and I know a few people using the fel-pro.

Not sure about the mr.gasket or the flat out gaskets.

I would go with the titans from what you have listed, just because I havent heard as much about the others. I usually go with what I know is proven.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
well a couple of the gaskets that you listed have a 4.130 bore...which is too big.

3.905, 3.910 and 4.00.....anywhere in between...not sure if anyone runs a gasket larger than that on a stock bore

The titans are a good gasket...and I know a few people using the fel-pro.

Not sure about the mr.gasket or the flat out gaskets.

I would go with the titans from what you have listed, just because I havent heard as much about the others. I usually go with what I know is proven.
Thanks, it always surprises me how many bore choices there are for gaskets, but then I forget there are alot of iron LSx motors too.