Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Idles Rough - Bad Coil Packs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Idles Rough - Bad Coil Packs?

Ever since I got my car (a few months ago) I have noticed that is doesent idle really smooth at a stop and has a little shake to it. The car is pretty stock. It has nothing that would cause a rough idle like a cam or something. I JUST changed the spark plugs (TR55's) and the wires were changed by the last owner probably 6 months ago (MSD Wires).

Im thinking it could be bad coil packs, or the fuel injectors causing the rough idle. Any idea what causes rough idle on these cars, car runs flawlessly it just idles rough at a stop.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

How rough is it idling? My car back when it was stock had a TINY bit of shake to it ... Try running some fuel injector cleaner, and top end cleaner thru the engine. That'll clean up any clogs and or buildup that might be causing problems as well.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something you might want to check are the 02's to make sure they're still working fine. While you're there make sure the 02 wires are far enough from ur exhaust. They probably will be if you have the stock exhaust. Mine got melted and I had a rough idle, but that was with headers. Another thought is the fuel injectors, fuel filter, and fuel pump.

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 05-01-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

My fuel filter has also been supposly changed. I will probably get the injectors professionaly cleaned, see if that fixes the problem.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

One weird thing was, after I changed the plugs the car idled fine for a few hours then became rough again.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

did the plugs look fouled when you took them out, pull some of them out and check them.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Check the O2 sensors. My car was running rough. Found out one of the wires on my front 02 sensor was cut. Replaced it and the car runs fine.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Banned

for the mst part. the coil packs would be dead if there wasa problem.. I bet its a sticky injecto?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I got my car it had about 53k on it and it idled so smooth you'd think it was shut off.

Then I pulled the intake to replace a bad knock sensor and ever since then the idle hasn't been smooth - and I'm getting a bit of oil seepage out from under the intake. I'm almost 100% sure I don't have that stupid thing torqued down right. I'm looking for a good weekend to pull it off, reseat it, and retorque it...

If the intake has been off your car, it may be something to check.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Anymore suggestions. This little shake is driving me nuts.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

It dosent have a small cam does it lol
Old 05-03-2006, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Im pretty sure it doesent.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

All I can think of is to check all vacuum lines, etc ... make sure you don't have a small leak somewhere or something. Have any modifications been done to the car or is it completely bone stock?
Old 05-03-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vipermike2002
One weird thing was, after I changed the plugs the car idled fine for a few hours then became rough again.
I'd bet you didn't get that double click on ALL the spark plug wires as they go on the coil packs..(coincidence on MSD wires?)

I'm having a similiar situation....I can't seem to get a good double click as I install on that last coil and its slipping off over time and the car runs like crap...(car runs good and then I believe the plug wire on the coil slips a bit and all of a sudden the car runs progressiely rougher...

Thats what I would look at first..

Double click on each and every coil ...(and make sure plug portion gets one good click)

I know its my issue because I remove and reinstall and the cars running smooth as could be ...and then over time...the coil portion I believe is slipping down..

after a long time I believe I've found the one coil thats giving me fits..

I'm hoping I can put a pair of plyers on the coil portion of the wire and squeeze it a bit so it fits with TWO good Clicks...like all the other plug wires that go on the coils..

I've even swapped wires to differnt cylinders and the plug wires click twice nicely on the new location..but that dam number 7 cylinder coil (on the Vette) just won't give me that dam good clean double click...

Good luck...but look at the simple solution first?

Hope it works out for and I'm just guessing on your situation so take it for what its worth...

JB

Last edited by JBsZ06; 05-03-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by vipermike2002
Ever since I got my car (a few months ago) I have noticed that is doesent idle really smooth at a stop and has a little shake to it. The car is pretty stock. It has nothing that would cause a rough idle like a cam or something. I JUST changed the spark plugs (TR55's) and the wires were changed by the last owner probably 6 months ago (MSD Wires). Im thinking it could be bad coil packs, or the fuel injectors causing the rough idle. Any idea what causes rough idle on these cars, car runs flawlessly it just idles rough at a stop.
Your car sounds like mine - I've also done the plugs, filter, etc. It's not missing or anything - just a little rough. I use BG44K fuel system cleaner from time to time and that helps. But after a while it gets kinda rough again. If yours is like mine, it can be a little annoying sometimes, but I don't think it's indicative of any kind of problem.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your motor mounts also.

If you suspect you have an intake leak here is a way to check.

Take a propane torch (unlit) and point the gas towards the intake seals, like a wand.

If the idle changes, you have a vacuum leak.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FstBlkz28
All I can think of is to check all vacuum lines, etc ... make sure you don't have a small leak somewhere or something. Have any modifications been done to the car or is it completely bone stock?
My car has a LID, msd wires, pro 5.0 short shifter, Flowmaster exhaust, and some suspension and rear end mods.

I'd bet you didn't get that double click on ALL the spark plug wires as they go on the coil packs..(coincidence on MSD wires?)

I'm having a similiar situation....I can't seem to get a good double click as I install on that last coil and its slipping off over time and the car runs like crap...(car runs good and then I believe the plug wire on the coil slips a bit and all of a sudden the car runs progressiely rougher...

Thats what I would look at first..

Double click on each and every coil ...(and make sure plug portion gets one good click)

I know its my issue because I remove and reinstall and the cars running smooth as could be ...and then over time...the coil portion I believe is slipping down..

after a long time I believe I've found the one coil thats giving me fits..

I'm hoping I can put a pair of plyers on the coil portion of the wire and squeeze it a bit so it fits with TWO good Clicks...like all the other plug wires that go on the coils..

I've even swapped wires to differnt cylinders and the plug wires click twice nicely on the new location..but that dam number 7 cylinder coil (on the Vette) just won't give me that dam good clean double click...

Good luck...but look at the simple solution first?

Hope it works out for and I'm just guessing on your situation so take it for what its worth...

JB
I will check that today.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

I was the previous owner. I had changed the fuel filter, went w/ MSD 8.5mm SC wires, and the intake was never touched that was all I really did to it besides a whisper lid. The shake is just a little jitter but yes it can get annoying. Its got over 100k on the car I got it w/ 87k and the tune up was the first thing I did. Its had that little shake since I got it but I never thought anything about it b/c its so small.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

o2 sensors. get someone to scan them
Old 05-04-2006, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

o2 sensors. get someone to scan them
I have a LS1m I can scan with. What should my O2's be around at idle?

Quick Reply: Car Idles Rough - Bad Coil Packs?