Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Noise Under Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whining Noise Under Acceleration

I have a stock 02 M6 WS6, recently the car started whining under acceleration. It sounds just like the blower on a 03 Cobra. I stopped the car, and there is no noise while it idles, or if im stopped, and rev it no noise. There is no noise when im rolling, or when im braking, only when i accelerate. The noise is consistant through all gears. There is no power loss, and the sound grows with added acceleration. Off the top of my head, the only thing i can think of is a worn serp. belt. Anyone else have any ideas???
Old 05-22-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My power steering pump was whining when it was a little low on fluid.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

belt tensioner?
Old 05-22-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Alternator?

Sometimes you can get an electrical "whine" throught the sound system (even with the volume down).
Old 05-22-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

possibly the rear end but if youve got stock gears i dont see a reason it would whine. pinion nut might be loose on it and making it whine. is it come from the motor or from the rear. from the way you described it though it sounds like the rear with it only being under acceleration that it happens
Old 05-22-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it def coming from the engine bay? As stated above I had an "electircal whine" that was due to my ground wire being bad on the factory stereo. It was silent at idle but would start whining and increase in volume as the rpms went up. Might be a long shot but it could be that. If it is from the engine bay id say it is a belt that is worn. If it sounds like it is coming from the back-end of the car then it is gear whine and could be a sign your rear-end is having problems.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had started getting an electical whine also. I thought it might have been related to the new battery this year - but wasnt really sure.

Before I got time to track it down, I noticed my newly installed shift light would 'reset' itself each time I released the brake lock switch.

So, after moving the Ground for the shift light, off of the ground that I have multiple electrical stuff (2 gauges, radar detector, XM, etc) attached to (this ground is located under the front console), it not only fixed the 'reset' problem, but the whine has also vanished!

I dont think I would have ever thought about all those grounds causing the whine.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

maybe its us Pittsburgh guys...
my car also whines really loud from the rear end ... however, mine is most whiney in the upper gears, and ONLY when on the gas... when you let off the gas, it quits, then when you get back on, it whines again... i don't have a stock rear (see sig), but i would like to know what the problem is..
and i'd like to know if a clunking/clanging is related to this problem... i started getting this noise which we thought was exahust hitting under the car, but its not... if you have the car in gear, up on a lift, and spin the rear wheel to its limits each way, you can hear the clang.. its coming from like the drive shaft... very obvious when driving up a road with little sharp bumps... can hear it clanging (metal to metal sound) and can feel it in the shifter... makes it feel like somethign is loose in the tranny and clunking around
two different things - gears have whined since i bought the car, and the clanging started suddenly... any ideas?

sorry to ***** the thread
Old 05-23-2006, 05:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

i havent heard the noise from outside the car yet, but from inside it sounds like it under the hood. in reply to the rear end clunking, every transam i've had, has had a rough rear suspension. Im used to that noise, when i hit a bump, it feels like the rear suspension is bottoming out, Ive noticed that in all the Fbodies Ive driven. I also at first thought it might be the rear end, but again, its stock gears, and i have driven a friends T/A with a set of gears set to tight, and its not the same knida noise. The car is only driven a few hours a week, then it just sits. I will track down which end of the car it's commin from tonight, and check my grounds (its the stock Monsoon system). And get back to everyone, thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds good man, let us know
Old 05-23-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, i still havent found what area its coming from. The belt is in good shape, but my power steering fluid was just below the ADD line on the dipstick. I filled it, and drove it for 15minutes this evening, and the sounds seems to be diminishing. Its not gone, but that might come with time. I'll continue to update. Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AeroKing
Well, i still havent found what area its coming from. The belt is in good shape, but my power steering fluid was just below the ADD line on the dipstick. I filled it, and drove it for 15minutes this evening, and the sounds seems to be diminishing. Its not gone, but that might come with time. I'll continue to update. Thanks
so what happened with the whine? did you ever get it resolved?
Old 07-10-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
maybe its us Pittsburgh guys...
my car also whines really loud from the rear end ... however, mine is most whiney in the upper gears, and ONLY when on the gas... when you let off the gas, it quits, then when you get back on, it whines again... i don't have a stock rear (see sig), but i would like to know what the problem is..
and i'd like to know if a clunking/clanging is related to this problem... i started getting this noise which we thought was exahust hitting under the car, but its not... if you have the car in gear, up on a lift, and spin the rear wheel to its limits each way, you can hear the clang.. its coming from like the drive shaft... very obvious when driving up a road with little sharp bumps... can hear it clanging (metal to metal sound) and can feel it in the shifter... makes it feel like somethign is loose in the tranny and clunking around
two different things - gears have whined since i bought the car, and the clanging started suddenly... any ideas?

sorry to ***** the thread

was it your torque arm mount that mounts it to the tail shaft of the tranny? mine busted the mount in half and clanked NASTY style going down the free way (was coming back from the air port) i thought that the rear gears had fkked up or worse the tranny went out, so i got under there and started back handing the whole drive train, when i got to the torque arm i just shuved it up and pop! it made the sound that i was hearing all the time. the way you discrived it is EXACTLY what was happening to mine!!

oh yeah and my car dose the whining sound....but i kinda like it lol
Old 07-10-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

everytime i take it out, the sounds goes away abit more. now i have to strain to distinguish it. i have an oil change coming up, i wouldnt be surprised if it completely stops after i change the oil. but i'll keep posting. i'll go under tonight and give everything a good shake.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Just a thought, but did you just recently install a shifter in the car? My car makes the same noise after I put a ripper shifter in it a long time ago. My buddys car does the same thing too. Weird
Old 07-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AeroKing
everytime i take it out, the sounds goes away abit more. now i have to strain to distinguish it. i have an oil change coming up, i wouldnt be surprised if it completely stops after i change the oil. but i'll keep posting. i'll go under tonight and give everything a good shake.
just let ppl think its blown like my truck, and i know you heard my wine

Quick Reply: Whining Noise Under Acceleration