Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure

Old 07-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure

This might be an obvious question to some but, i just put my motor back in and i have zero oil pressure, gauge doesnt even move at all. There would be a couple reasons for this including bad sending unit, or sending unit came unplugged. if my O ring was in wrong it wouldnt make the gauge dead so i am leaning towards it being electrical. is there a ground somewhere that needs to be connected to make the sending unit work? its installed correctly and is new, and is plugged in. any suggestions?????????

also............ is there a way to check oil pressure besides using the dash gauge?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could hook a mechanical gauge up to it by tapping into the little fitting right above the oil filter.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Banned

t t t
Old 07-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Banned

t t t someones gotta have input
Old 07-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Banned

ok so i took the manifold back off and i found that the sending unit wires had ripped out, hence the no oil pressure. i extended the wires and soldered them back together nicely. i put it all back together and attempted to start it again. still no pressure, although this time when i turn the key the gauge flickers a little bit and when i turn it off and pull the key out, the pressure gauges starts to rise again. im assuming that the sender is getting power now. any ideas as to what is going on????............................................ .......... I know someone has to know something that can help me......... COME ON!!!!!
Old 07-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Banned

t t f t
Old 07-09-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hook up a mechanical guage to where the sender is.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Like they have said, hook up another gauge. You will be able to either identify or eliminate the sending unit as the cause. If you look on the block above the oil filter, you will a block-off plate with two screws and a boss waiting to be tapped. You can tap that location for a sending unit and plug it later or use it for a oil temp gauge.

Why did you pull the motor? If you did a rebuild of some sort there is a plastic oil passage plug that goes in the back of the block which is often overlooked. It is white, sort of dogbone shaped with an O-ring on one end. If this were missing tho, you should still see some pressure, maybe between 0-5psi.

Hope this helps..........
Old 07-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Banned

the motor was re built, over bored, stroked, forged, etc. explain to me more about this plug. where does it go? wouldnt i have oil spraying out if the plug wasnt there? how do i get to it? help........................

i hoooked up a mechanical gauge. still nothing. if these "plugs" arent in, will that cause ZERO pressure??

Last edited by ricethis98; 07-09-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can plug it back up, but i agree about the oil temp guage. Defnitely Hook up a mechanical guage, and don't try and drive the car unless you know you got oil pressure.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ricethis98
the motor was re built, over bored, etc. explain to me more about this plug. where does it go? wouldnt i have oil spraying out if the plug wasnt there? how do i get to it? help........................

i hoooked up a mechanical gauge. still nothing. if these "plugs" arent in, will that cause ZERO pressure??
I think the formal name is REAR OIL GALLEY PLUG. It is located in the back of the motor behind the rear cover (thus no visible leaking). If the motor is still in the car then drop the tranny and attack the rear cover from the bottom. If I remember correctly, looking at the back of the motor, the plug is located left of centerline between the cam and crank. If it is missing, you will see a circular oil channel/galley running front to back. The plug will go in there. Ask you engine builder/machine shop about it. They will know.

It is white plastic, maybe an arrow would be a better description. The point side is actually round with and O-ring to plug the galley. The feather end is actually a disc that also fills the galley hole. You stick the O-ring side into the block and the disc side sits almost flush with the block.

I would think you would see some pressure, maybe 0-15 at idle with the warning light coming on. Check your oil pump O-ring also.

Good Luck.....
Old 07-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Banned

problem is it wont idle on its own yet. its not tuned, so ive only had it idling for a bit, about five seconds each time, a cuple times consecutively. ive also been reading theres a plug up front too??? is that true?? by not having these plugs in there, does that mean that oil isnt making its way thru my motor?? oil filter was full and there was oil at my sender.................
Old 07-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Banned

come on............... t t t
Old 07-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Banned

I need some help here come on!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have you talked to the engine builder yet? He should know if the plug was installed to not. If you had to put the front and back covers on the block, chances are you were supposed to put the plug in. If the motor came to you complete, then the plug should be in.

It is a process of elimination......check the gauge, check the O-ring, swap the oil pump, look for the galley plug. Open the valve covers, turn the motor and see if there is any oil moving.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Teching In

bump for some updated info
Old 07-12-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is the plastic oil galley plug in the back and also a front oil galley cup plug. Without those two in place, you will not make oil pressure.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Banned

I did talk to the builder. He says that if they take something off the block they always put it back in, but he told me that he was not positive that they were put back in. I got the motor back as just the short block, no covers on it, not checking to see if they were put back in. Based on the advice of all your knowledge, what do u recommend I do? is the front one different, would just the rear be missing?? what should i do first? pull the tranny off and check the rear or pull the front cover off and check the o ring and the front plug???????? I love your feed back

also.......... if both plugs are missing, will that cause ZERO pressure??

Thank you so much
Old 07-12-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ricethis98
I did talk to the builder. He says that if they take something off the block they always put it back in, but he told me that he was not positive that they were put back in. I got the motor back as just the short block, no covers on it, not checking to see if they were put back in. Based on the advice of all your knowledge, what do u recommend I do? is the front one different, would just the rear be missing?? what should i do first? pull the tranny off and check the rear or pull the front cover off and check the o ring and the front plug???????? I love your feed back

also.......... if both plugs are missing, will that cause ZERO pressure??

Thank you so much
If you think its electrical, it would be a lot easier to just hook up a mech. gauge before you started pulling covers, and thats where I would start. I would un-plug the coil packs, and pull the fuel pump fuse and have someoen bump it over with the starter while you watch the gauge. If no dice then start pulling covers. If the plugs arent in the whole motor is not getting oil. And it is possible to read zero pressure if both plugs are missing.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Here are a couple threads talking about it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...oil+restrictor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/481722-important-there-oil-restrictor-barbell-restrictor-any-internal-oil-plug.html

Search this Thread