Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant stop leak?

Old 07-10-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant stop leak?

Head gaskets didn't seal right from the head swap and someone suggested running a can of coolant system stop leak through my cooling system to see if it will seal the gasket. I was also told not to do this as it will cause more problems with the cooling system.

Just curious as to everyone's opinions on this as I don't want to have to yank the heads again to fix everything up. I know I should yank the heads to fix it properly, but if I can get away with this...well yeah would save me a lot of hastle.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

853 heads with commetic gasket if that helps....
Old 07-10-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats wrong with the head gaskets? What bolts? Did you torque them correctly? If ARP, did you use correct lube and correct torque for the lube used?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Whats wrong with the head gaskets? What bolts? Did you torque them correctly? If ARP, did you use correct lube and correct torque for the lube used?
I was told the commettic gaskets may not seal from the small recess in the back of an 853 head.

arp bolts tq'd to spec with oil for lube (read on here to tq to 80 lbs).
Old 07-10-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Nate, i wish that would fix it, but its not going to happen. You need to just pull the heads back off and put some graphites on it. Dont forget, sealing a cylinder at 150+psi is not like sealing the rest of the cooling system............which that stuff is meant to do.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Nate, i wish that would fix it, but its not going to happen. You need to just pull the heads back off and put some graphites on it. Dont forget, sealing a cylinder at 150+psi is not like sealing the rest of the cooling system............which that stuff is meant to do.
Yeah I wish it would to...I was just hoping I might get away with it...oh well one more weekend in the garage and I'll have learned a very time consuming lesson.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't use that stop leak stuff. Fix what is wrong with the car. I used Bars in my Beretta beater car once, cuz the rad. was leaking. I pluged up my thermostat and rad., and was causing it to over head really bad. I had to take the rad. out and have all the crap flushed from it and replace the tank that was leaking.

Search this Thread