Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild Resources for the first timer?

Old 07-12-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuild Resources for the first timer?

Okay, so the wife has now okayed fixing the Trans Am so long as I do it myself to save money (insert evil laugh here).

The problem ist hat while I have put a couple of motors together in my teenage years eons ago, I've never rebuilt an LS1....and evey motor I've put together has popped within a thousand miles....so obvioulsy I need a little more paitence and some soft of guide.

SO

I would like to get some good guides on tools, techniques, step by step info etc, for tearing down, inspecting and repairing a tired old 120K mile 1998 motor.

If there is a segment on sneaking in a cheap stroker crank while the wife isn't looking that would be nice too.

Anyone have any recomendatiosn for books, websites? past articles or threads..yadda yadda yadda.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 Engines by Will Handzel

ISBN: 1884089844
Old 07-12-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a good book. Might visit the library and borrow a few books on general SBC rebuilds. While the specs may differ slightly, the basic prcedure should be similar.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Just to give you an idea of how rusty I am the last rebuild manual I bough was one on rebuilding Rochester Quadrajets.

I think I have a book on Gen 1 SBCs by John Lingenfelter , like the idea of a LS1 specific manual. Thanks for the link. Any books or resources that detail getting an LS1 in and out of a 4th gen engine bay.....without a lift.....in your garage.... (I know the ideal is to take it out from underneath.)...also some resources for year by year engine changes....

I'm sort of surprised we haven't put together a year by year engine builders guide here on LS1TEch... that would be really useful.....
Old 07-12-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Just to give you an idea of how rusty I am the last rebuild manual I bough was one on rebuilding Rochester Quadrajets.

I think I have a book on Gen 1 SBCs by John Lingenfelter , like the idea of a LS1 specific manual. Thanks for the link. Any books or resources that detail getting an LS1 in and out of a 4th gen engine bay.....without a lift.....in your garage.... (I know the ideal is to take it out from underneath.)...also some resources for year by year engine changes....

I'm sort of surprised we haven't put together a year by year engine builders guide here on LS1TEch... that would be really useful.....
The book Aegnor mentioned contains info onpulling the motors for various years.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Worthwhile? Yes? No? Thinking I need a general shop manual for does and donts of getting the driveline in and out?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Worthwhile? Yes? No? Thinking I need a general shop manual for does and donts of getting the driveline in and out?
I have that manual. It lists some ls-1 specs, but that is all. Everything else is lt-1 material. I believe it would be of some help on the driveline though.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Okay, I just ordered both books off Amazon.

PS I have the coolest wife in the whole world.
We pulled the value of my TA if it were repaired ($4,000)...which is about what I estimate the cost to repair it is....so effectivly it has no value....

So she said "I'm okay with you rebuilding the car so long as you use it as a business expense for your company"....

so I said "What If I rebuilt the car for racing at Road Atlanta and plastered `StreetFire.net' on the side"

She said "I'd be fine with that" WOO HOO! She's going to look back at this and say "oh lord whay have I done?"... heck I think a Fire suit, Helemet, Hans Device, fire Supressions system and roll cage alone will cost more than $4,000....snicker...

Search this Thread