Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Info needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Info needed

I am considering a cam for my car, love the sound of a cammed car, as well as the extra little bit of horsies.

The info needed is in regards to installation. The cam itself is cheap enough, however the labour (I was quoted) isn't. I am gonna have a shop install it, and then re-tune.

I was quoted 21 hours for the valvetrain and cam etc.

How come so long, does the engine need to be pulled?

Do the heads have to come off, because if they do, I might as well wait and do the heads at the same time.

If the heads stay on and the engine stays in, I am considering a cam install plus a few other things (just minor).

Thx for any info guys. Looking at something that lopes, plus gives a nice flat torque curve.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:44 AM
TECH Regular

its not a hard swap to do yourself, just time consuming.. if they do a cam install/ tune your lookin at spendin $1200+

check out the cam install at ls1howto.com
Old 07-12-2006, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

it shouldn't take 21 hours for a novice,much less a certified mechanic.do it yourself,it isn't as hard as you think,and once you have done it it will be a snap the next time.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

The shop that did my install pulled the heads, which of course drove up the price. They shouldn't have to pull the heads to do a cam install.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:12 AM
11Second Club

I just finished swapping my cam, and I hadn't done anything more complicated than a header swap prior to this. Believe me, jX's cam swap guide is a miraculous help. If you can follow what's in this guide, you can do it yourself.

I have to admit that my install took somewhere along the lines of 40 hours, but I got one of the JRP cam install tools jammed in my block somehow and had to pull the passenger side head off.

If you have the money to swap the heads, jmX has an equally helpful heads and cam swap guide, too. If I had had the money, when I realized I needed to pull the head, I would have gone ahead and done that, too.

Trust me, it's nowhere near as hard as you may originally think, and it'll save you a lot of money. Find some alternate transportation so you're not under the gun and get 'er dun! I had problems on my install, and the LS1Tech community was there to save my butt. They'll save yours, too.

PM me if you need/want additional info.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy is very handy as far as mechanical things....well, he actually worked for Ford for a while, but before he did, he did my cam install using the ls1howto guide, and it took him 12 hours...first time doing it too. That included swapping the oil pump and pulley as well as doing the cam and the whole valvetrain. 21 hours is way too much!

Manny
Old 07-12-2006, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

21 hours What that is crazy!! It shouldn't take but 5-8 hours. That's if you done it before.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Launching!

A second place I asked about it, said 24 hours...said have to pull the engine right out!

Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They're trying to rape you. If you really don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, find a reputable shop that has done cam swaps on f-bodies before.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

I have a little bit of mechanical aptitude, but I am certainly no mechanic. I installed mine in around 6-7 hours from go to whoa. I didn't do the timing chain or oil pump as my engine was very fresh.
(Car is a HSV Senator - similar to 04 GTO)

I also used the snap-on style single screw down valve spring compressor which made the job a little more time consuming than it could be. I'd recommend the Crane tool to do 2 at a time.

If you allow yourself at least 10 hours and take your time, you will have no worries.

It seems like a very big, daunting job at first, but by going slowly and checking/rechecking, it isn't too difficult.

And the first start-up is sensational!!!

Cheers,

Macca
Old 07-15-2006, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

I did heads & cam inside the car. It was a 40 hour job. If you pull the eng. & tranny out together it would be much faster. I didin't learne this umtill later. You can do just a cam without pulling heads. If I had that info I would have not done heads. I could do a cam install in 4 hours. If did not have to do springs.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

In the GM service manual it says to pull the heads. That's why they think it takes 21 hours. GM doesn't seem to think the lifters will stay up.

I did my cam swap in 8 1/2 hours. 1 day non-stop work. That's with changing valve springs, timing chain, ect. The heads stayed on.