Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing valve seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing valve seats

Anyone know how in the hell I can get these things out without taking it to a machine shop to have them cut out? Is it possible to pry them out with something? I am about to fly cut the pistons but can't get the damn things out, so any help would be great.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the head is junk and you dont plan on using it again, you can just slot the valve seats with a dremel or angle grinder. Once you slot them, it relieves pressure and you can pry them out with a screwdriver.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
If the head is junk and you dont plan on using it again, you can just slot the valve seats with a dremel or angle grinder. Once you slot them, it relieves pressure and you can pry them out with a screwdriver.
Yeah, the head is gonna be junked afterward. What do you mean by slotting? Just vertically cut down the side of it?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This may be another stupid question, but why do they have to come out anyway? The tool cutter shaft fits through it. Doe it not let it get close enough to the piston?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

I took my die grinder with a .080 thick metal cutting disk and vertically cut down the wall between the intake and exhaust valve seats. This will cut through both valve seats and the aluminum between teh two valves per cylinder. Wont matter if youre just using the head for flycutting.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000blackta
This may be another stupid question, but why do they have to come out anyway? The tool cutter shaft fits through it. Doe it not let it get close enough to the piston?
With the seats in there, the cutter head will stick too far down. you need to remove the seats so the cutter sits a little higher and the piston can be raised to TDC. I even had the same problem with my homegrown flycutter tool.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With the seats in there, the cutter head will stick too far down. you need to remove the seats so the cutter sits a little higher and the piston can be raised to TDC. I even had the same problem with my homegrown flycutter tool.
Oh, I see. I saw your home made tool while researching how to do all of this. It looks like a damn nice piece. Thanks for the help, hopefully I won't screw this up too much.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Launching!

This thread is just another reason why this sight is SOOOOO great! I've been wondering these exact things..........and now they're answered! bravo!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dont worry, you wont screw it up unless you spend your days banging into walls with a helmet and licking windows on the back of the short bus. Its very easy to do, but a little time consuming and possibly frustrating trying to get the angle drill in tight spaces.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:36 AM
FormerVendor

I took my die grinder with a .080 thick metal cutting disk and vertically cut down the wall between the intake and exhaust valve seats. This will cut through both valve seats and the aluminum between teh two valves per cylinder. Wont matter if youre just using the head for flycutting.

This will work very well. It is pretty straight forward and easy to do.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gunnar@Patriot
This will work very well. It is pretty straight forward and easy to do.

Just finished it now actually. It was very easy to do. Now time to go cut the pistons and bolt on the AFR's!