Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What did I do?

Left out the other night from a parking lot, and everyone wanted to see a little burnout, so I grabbed first and second. It did not feel like the car pulled like normal (well spin). Immediatly after the clutch went all the way to the floor, and I had no clutch. I babied it for a few miles and regained clutch. It felt like it was slipping some. Few days later I drove the car and it shifts fine (no grinding, or anything else abnormal), but does not seem to have the same pedal feel. Also some friends called me and said I had some sparks coming from underneath the car when I was doing the burnout. Looked underneath and nothing was hanging, coincidence or something to do with why my clutch is messed up>? Talked to a friend and he said that the flywheel may have stuck/ welded to the flywheel, and then came undone. But that if that happened that I need to change it now before it really caused problems?

The car has a SPEC stage 3, w/ steel flywheel. I have read that alot of people do not like SPEC. If this is true what clutch should I go with. But before answering that, please tell me what you guys think I did to the car, I dont want to turn this into a clutch poll, b/c it isnt.

Thanks for the Help,
Travis
Old 07-13-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

You probably slipped the clutch a lot and heated things up. The stage 3 is a puck style disk and I can see it having "sparks" coming from the bell housing when slipping. With the trouble others are having with the Spec stuff and after a long high temp slip I would pull the clutch and inspect the flywheel and pressure plate for heat damage/cracks. Don't want it comming apart at high rpm do we?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

clutch is wearing out
Old 07-13-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the peddle going to the floor I would expect a problem in the hydraulic clutch mechanism.

Try a search in the trani/clutch forum. It's actually a fairly common problem.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Ok thanks. What clutch do you guys like? I make 500 rwhp.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Banned

dude i had the same problem.... ok ..your throwout bearing has been shot.and you will probably need a clutch master cylinder also to be safe. check the clutch fluid and if its hella black,i mean like oil almost you did this..i like the ram clutch. affordable and strong.